Double fermented kombucha

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Here is what I did...

Made a batch of kombucha the regular way.

When it was done, 7 days later...I poured some strained kombucha (no scoby either) into a quart jar that I already had about an inch or so of 100% cranberry juice. I left some head room, about 2 inches- for no other reason than I didn't have enough kombucha to fill it all the way up.

Set it in a closet for 48 hours with a tight lid.
Transfered it to the fridge to cool completely.

Popped the lid and enjoyed this morning. (Remove the new scoby and pass on to someone else.) Delish!

You can use any clear fruit juice. :) It tasted just like cranberry soda.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm gonna try this! I bet dh and my mom would love it. I dilute mine a LOT so I'll try it, but....I know the others will LOVE it!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I often do a second ferment with the fruit juices or even pieces of fruit in my old swing top beer bottles and it is better and more refreshing than soda!
My favorite slices of ginger and a few pieces of good fresh pineapple.... Super fizzy and delicious .

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm working on my first double ferment. I put raspberries in pomegranate juice in one and blueberries in pomegranate juice in the other. I can open it tonight or tomorrow morning. :D

I want to try both ginger and pineapple.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've done this for years in grolsch (sp) beer bottles. We consider our kombucha our soda pop, only we can only let ours femrment for another 3-4 days because otherwise everytime we open a bottle we get fizz and spray everywhere from carbonation. Our family of 6 adults is currently drinking 8 gallons every 3-4 days, and we could EASILY be drinking another 2-4 gallons during that time.