Downsized

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do garden, but I am not the best at it. :(

I have already had him helping me move furniture so I could clean the hardwood floors. I know it is small, but just getting rid of some dust and grime lifts my spirits.

I have a roast w/veg in the oven. I am thinking leftover meat/veg, sandwiches, beef and noodles, and if there is any left, use it in veg soup. Fortunately we both like leftovers!

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Practice makes perfect, they say. Even if you just have a small garden every little bit helps. Now get him to help clean out all the closets, cabinets & drawers & have a sale of all the extra things you do not want, need or use anymore(or ever). Then stash that money for the lean months or use it to pay off a bill.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Cleaning - now that is making lemonaide from lemons.
Gardening is a great way to eat like a king on very little.
I just need to watch the cost of garden things but a couple of tomato starts in some buckets is pretty easy. Also leaf lettuce is really easy- those are the two things that started my gardening madness.
Could your husband make some beds or containers? Although since your name is hoosier, you probably can't do anything big right now.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Could your husband make some beds or containers? Although since your name is hoosier, you probably can't do anything big right now.
I have a cold frame that he made for me several years ago. I use it mainly for lettuces.
You are right about not being able to do much right now - we won't see freezing for days. The thirties will feel downright balmy!

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Now get him to help clean out all the closets, cabinets & drawers & have a sale of all the extra things you do not want, need or use anymore(or ever). Then stash that money for the lean months or use it to pay off a bill.
I hadn't thought about having anything much to sell, but I bet I could find some things. I have a few items that are worth a bit in a good economy, but don't think people are buying like they used to. They are items that would not sell in our area, and I have never used Ebay. :rolleyes:
I will have to hope that someone I know is having a garage/yard sale in town this summer as my house is too remote to hold a sale.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would start looking now by cleaning everything out & going thru everything. Then put the word out to family & friends that you have x-amt of items to sell & if they are going to have a sale you are more than willing to help with it & bring your items too.