Dr Oz exposes what's in factory chicken!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
So that comes out to about 1/2 of an egg per year for the residents in Manhattan. I'm not too sure they could live on that. On top of that you would take away one on the major places that they have to relax and exercise. I imagine if I had to live in a 400sf apartment in a 50 story building, it would be nice to go for a walk in the park instead of looking at a bunch of chickens.

Next please.
well, that's why i said theoretically. i'm definitely not suggesting we turn Central Park into a giant chicken farm. i was just using that as an example of what you can do in fairly limited spaces around metropolitan areas. and the huge plus of management-intensive grazing is that you can raise cows and sheep and goats on the SAME land that the chickens range because they are mimicing natural grazing patterns, which are rotational and actually benefit the pasture.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
bibliophile birds said:
Dunkopf said:
So that comes out to about 1/2 of an egg per year for the residents in Manhattan. I'm not too sure they could live on that. On top of that you would take away one on the major places that they have to relax and exercise. I imagine if I had to live in a 400sf apartment in a 50 story building, it would be nice to go for a walk in the park instead of looking at a bunch of chickens.

Next please.
well, that's why i said theoretically. i'm definitely not suggesting we turn Central Park into a giant chicken farm. i was just using that as an example of what you can do in fairly limited spaces around metropolitan areas. and the huge plus of management-intensive grazing is that you can raise cows and sheep and goats on the SAME land that the chickens range because they are mimicing natural grazing patterns, which are rotational and actually benefit the pasture.
I looked at that site that Wifezilla posted. They have done a great job of utilizing the space available. It's great on a small scale and I may try to utilize some of those ideas.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a tiny lot and have tried to use as many ideas as possible. I grow duck weed in a pond the ducks can't get to. I also put rosy minnows in the pond. When the duck weed gets thick and the minnows start spawning the excess of both become duck snacks. I don't even have to feed the fish. They live on mosquito larva and other creepy crawlies. I also circulate the pond water through a biofilter that feeds and waters plants like my basil and my hot peppers.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cool, so Manhattan can't sustain itself and has to truck in. If we keep that attitude towards the rest of America, we will dig more and more into factory farming.

I live on the Central Coast of California, where I am, to the east and north is acreage, just tons and tons. To the south you have LA/ Orange Count/San Diego. No space, like Manhattan.

However, if you consider that we have THOUSANDS of acres for a few herds of cows, if you throw in a few more + some food crops (besides grapes for wine) we, CC and North Cali, can sustain ourselves + the southern areas. The midwest is vast, I'm sure one small area can help support Manhattan.