Dreaming of Chickens - Rocky and Carlo's

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? I live in southeast Louisiana, so our climate is pretty much subtropical. In other words hot and sticky. But, the longer growing season is great.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? Married. Just my husband and I, my mom, and a couple of couch potato dogs.

3. How would you define self sufficiency? It seems that the more I get in to this the bigger it gets. At first I just thought of it as having solar power and growing some of my own food. But now, I'd love to buy a couple acres of land and live totally off grid. Hubby isn't quite there yet though. He is very social and likes to be around people all the time. I think he will eventually get there though.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? Hum, this depends on if you mean anything I could possibly want to do, or if you mean what I would do in my spare time to increase my self sufficiency. If I could do anything I want with my spare time and I had the resources to do it, it would be travel. I'd love to travel all over the world I have only had one chance to go to Europe and I would love to go back. Maybe even live there for a while. As for self sufficiency the resources I would need would mainly be land and what I would do would be to fence off parts of the property for animals and build the proper housing for them. First would be chickens. I would love to have some chickens. It would be too difficult to have them on our very tiny suburban property. Besides the couch potatoes would eat them without the proper housing and fencing, so until we have the land, no chickens. :(

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to? Nope, but I'd love to. first I have to learn how to use a hammer! I can use a screwdriver and a drill, but I have the most difficult time with a dang hammer!

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? :lol: Noooo! That is something my husband wants to learn though.

7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? I have always been a little environmentally conscious from the time I was a kid, so I guess it started there. For the past year my husband has started prepping and I have gotten into it as well. I don't really believe we are going to have a shtf incident, but if something should happen I'd like to be prepped for it. Also, I just like the idea of not depending on anyone for our needs. I wanted to get a job and move out when I was like 12 because I didn't want my mom to have to take care of me.

8 Cloth or paper? Depends on what I'm using it for

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? Just starting out with this. So far we are just growing some of our own food. Too many things I need to learn to list them!

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient? I think if I have kids and we still live in this area I will use the public school system. We have a really good school system here. Also, I would definitely use disposable diapers!!! :ep I'm sure there may be a few more things, but that's what I can think of right now.

11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? Yep. Work'n on it now.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? Computer games. It's a good way to think about nothing.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? No, but I ain't afraid to learn. I'd drive anything you'd be will'n to put me in.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? The only craft I have really worked on is scrapbooking. It's a great thing to do to pass on but I wouldn't say it's useful. I want to learn to sew. That is one of my goals for this winter while I can't garden. And again, if I could just learn to hammer!

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? I could have like 5 chickens. I've had neighbors my whole life though that have had chickens, ducks, pigs, and even a couple of goats! Wasn't legal, but nobody cared.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? nope

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? Love it! Didn't always love it. Started out by just getting tired of my front garden always being a mess and I wasn't about to pay someone to take care of it when, like it or not, I could do it myself. I hated it at first, now it is kind of an obsession. I love the flower gardens in the front of the house, but my passion is my veggie garden.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? yes, bait.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? suburbs unfortunately and not land much at all. Our house, garage, carport, and storage shed take up most of the lot, so not much left for gardening. We are looking in to buying the empty lot across the street from us. It's about 1/4 acre, if that much, but would give me enough space for a big garden.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL? Nope

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? Currently I guess it would be gardening, though I am certainly no expert. there's lots and lots I'd like to learn.

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Well, now that you asked I am.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? This is a tough question. I like being in south east Louisiana. You can't beat the food hear. I am 20 minutes from New Orleans. Maybe I would move a little farther out so I could get some land, but I think I'd stay in the same region. Maybe I'd live in the south of France. The weather is supposed to be nice there and it is beautiful.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? nope

28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency? No. They think I'm nuts. One of my friends is interested in it, but she does not see it this way. She stores food, but doesn't think of it as prepping, because that's just crazy. Whatever. :/ this is the same person who thinks that if you raise pig and kill it an eat it that's cruelty, but she eats pork and it's one of her favorites. I love people who don't think about where there food comes from.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? I do like to cook, though I'm not the best chef you will ever meet. I am interested in whole foods and natural foods, which is why I want to grow as much of my own as I can. I've never had raw milk, but I've heard it's fantastic and I'd love to have some. Farm fresh eggs, Oh Yeah! I want some of those too. I'd love to be able to get up in da morning and go pick me some eggs.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? No, but we have an overgrown lot behind our house, so the couch potatoes kill an occasional possum. I'd let them eat it if they didn't make such a dang mess.

34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? We'd like to do this soon.

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England? blue

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, but I'd love to give it a try.

37. In what do you trust? My hubby and one of the couch potatoes. They'd defend me to the death.

38. Do you make things yourself to save money? Not yet. but we will.

39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Yep. I almost never buy lunch when I am at work anymore. I only buy clothes that cost a little more (and I do mean a little) because I have to go to work. We do not have any care notes and probably never will again. I drive an '88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer and I never want anything else. I love my Matilda.

I liked this question list as well so, here we go:

01. Name? Brandy
02. Gender? Female
03. Disneyworld or Disneyland? Disneyworld
04. What is your favorite color? green
05. What is your favorite kind of gum? anything mint or winterfresh
06. How much do you weigh? hahaha. more than I should
07. How tall are you? 5'1'
08. Can you swim? yep
09. Do you like to swim? not really. I'd rather soak in a pool or go tubing down a river.

10. Living arrangement? Own my home with my husband, mom and two couch potato dogs.

11. What's on your mouse pad? a mid 50's Buick

12. Favorite board game? monopoly

13. Favorite magazine? Anything about cooking

14. Favorite Actor? None really.

15. Favorite Actress? Hum, maybe Sandra Bullock.

16. Do you have an accent? Yep. Because of my accent I am what is know down here as a 'Yat. Maybe I'll put in a post about that. You will see it come out in my writing sometimes. You see me use da instead of the a lot. There are several more. Yeah, I think I need to put a post in my journal about this.

17. Favorite smells? sweet olive.

18. Least favorite smells? strong, flowery perfumes. they make me kinda sick. but I love the smell of flowers though.

19. Favorite sound? Can't say that I have one. Maybe ocean waves.

20. Do you prefer pools or oceans? Pools.

21. Do you watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer? Used to.

22. Pencil or pen? pen

23. Who's better - boys or girls? GIRLS! Unless I have to pay for them and raise them, then BOYS!

24. Would you like to own a motorcycle? No. And it's crazy. I love to look at them and even though I don't like loud noises, I love the way they sound, but I will not get on one!

25. Do you sing in the shower? sometimes and only if hubby isn't home

26. Who's the best looking Disney character? I'm not that into Disney.

27. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? How much longer can I sleep.

28. How many rings before you answer the phone? One. I can't stand to let the phone ring. I spent too many years working in a good customer service department.

29. How do you want to die? Hopefully in my sleep so that I don't even know it happened.

30. Have you ever called a 900 number? Nope

31. Gold or silver? silver

32. Would you ever go bungee-jumping? Nope. See number 29

33. Do you like dressing up? I love it!

34. Would you rather be short or tall? somewhere in the middle would be nice.

35. Do you enjoy reading? Not really. I usually can't sit still that long.

36. What book are you reading now? Dare to prepare and a bunch of text books 'cause I'm in school.

37. Favorite books? see 35

39. Favorite movies? Jerry Maguire, Mary Poppins, The Blind Side, Pretty Woman, and my all time fave has got to be My Fair Lady.

40. Do you sleep with a stuffed animal? Nope. I sleep with the hubby and one of the couch potatoes.

41. What is your sign? proceed with caution! LOL

42. What are your personality traits? quiet, hard working, and maybe a little flaky.

43. What's your biggest fear? Hurricanes.

44. Would you ever have cosmetic surgery? Nope

45. Future child's name? Changes all the time. Currently I like Lydia or Ashlynn for a girl and Ashton or Philip for a Boy.

46. Favorite foods? I live in New Orleans, this makes it really hard to pick a fave. I really like crawfish etouffee.

47. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla

48. Do you like to drive fast? Nope.

49. Storms - cool or scary? scary. See #43

50. Do you like to dance? yeah, but I'm a total spaz.

51. Do you do drugs? Nope

52. Do you smoke? Never

53. What do you think of people who smoke? gross. my hubby smokes. He's gross.

54. Do you drink? Sometimes

55. Favorite drink? pina colada or rum punch

56. Do you think men and women could ever be just friends without wanting each other? Yep. I've done it.

57. Do you eat the stems of broccoli? yep

58. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? Interior Designer. That's what I'm in school for.

59. What's your "type"? Big, strong, and determined, but with a sense of humor and sweetness.

60. Do you bite your nails? no.

61. Any siblings? nope

62. What movies have you cried in? too many to list. I am a cry baby

63. Do you believe in God? yep

64. Did you ever cry over a guy/girl? yep

65. Have you ever stolen anything? lol. yep. I stole a rubics cube with I was like 8.

66. Do you procrastinate? I'll get back to you on that one

67. Do you believe in fate? not really.

68. Who's your favorite Sesame Street character? Oscar the Grouch

69. Do you organize your CD's? lol. no.

70. What is your favorite kind of music? country

71. What are your favorite bands/artists? none really

72. What was the last CD you got? I don't even remember. I haven't bought a CD in about 10 years.

73. MTV or VH1? VHI

74. Who do you admire the most? My mom.

77. Favorite TV show? The Middle, Dr. Who, Modern Familly

78. Blondes, Brunettes, or Redheads? Brunettes

79. Glasses or contacts? glasses. I can't stick anything in my eye

80. What color are your eyes? Brown

81. What is your natural hair color? a darker blond

82. But what color is it now? natural at least for the next few weeks.

83. Have you ever been in love? yep, for about 11 years now.

84. Any pets? two couch potato dogs and a couple a turtles

85. Good, decent, or poor grades? Good

86. Is the glass half empty or half full? half full

87. Do you type with your fingers on the right keys? yep

88. What's under your bed? dog hair and a carpet for one of the cars. lol

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:welcome I like crawfish etoufee!! You must post a recipe!

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As promised, a post about what a Yat is

After Hurricane Katrina there was a rebirth in the pride of anything uniquely New Orleans, including our unique accent. Some people may think that in New Orleans we would sound southern, like people in Atlanta, but we don't. Not at all. We sound more like we are from Boston or New Jersey. We say caw instead of car and ax instead of ask. It's a pretty harsh accent and we love it. Keeping the accent alive is part of keeping the culture of New Orleans alive. I could go on for days, but I'll just give a little info and a few examples since this has nothing to do with this forum. It does say a lot about who I am though.

The term Yat is derived from the way we great people. We say "Where ya at?" Instead of how are you doing. It sounds more like "whea y'at". The appropriate respons to "Where ya at" is of course, awright! (or all right). Here are a few examples of our unique way of speak'n down here:

making groceries: going grocery shopping. This came about due to a poor translation from French to English.

Schwegmann's bag: a brown paper bag. You can probably guess this one, but we used to have a large grocery store chain called Schwegmann's. Everyone shopped there, so a brown paper bag became a Shwegmann's bag.

BoBo: a small injury or wound

Dawlin: Darling. We use this one a lot. Men will refer to ladies as dawlin and ladies will use dawlin to refer to both sexes. The same applies to hawt or ma hawt (hart or my hart).

How's yamom-n-dem?: (Your mom and them). This means how are your mother and family doing? ya mom-n-dem is also used like this: What ya'll did fa Chrismas? Did you go by yamom-n-dem? We have great respect for mom's down here, so mom is always first when you ask about some one's family.

I love it.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
:welcome I like crawfish etoufee!! You must post a recipe!
I'm not a great cook, but I can get you a good recipe from someone who is. Give me a couple a days. It's some one that I work with.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome

I spent the first 40+ years of my life in southeast Louisiana. WELCOME!

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greetings from NC

The hubs was stationed at Ft. Polk in the early 80's. WHEW! I don't miss y'all's humidity. :lol:

This is an awesome place. Have fun!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think it is interesting to hear about where people are from.

Aren't you guys in for a big storm?

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Hi Brandy and welcome! I am in Southwest Mississippi! Not too far away! Have fun here. Lots to learn!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome. I certainly envy your growing season, but not your humidity LOL. Good luck to you and your hubs on your prepping and self sufficiency adventures. It's gonna be fun and frustrating!!!