Dressed my first deer. YUM!!!

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Thanks.

A couple of questions.....

It is suppose to rain, is it OK for it to be out in the rain while it ages or am I bringing it in and hanging it in the tub?

What is the average time you all hang them for? This is a little on. Maybe a yearling.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Ours don't age more than 24 hours before they are completely processed. If you hang it outside, make sure you protect it!!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We don't age ours either. Aging isn't necessary. With larger game it's usually too much hassle finding a safe clean place to hang it long enough anyway.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If it's not sufficiently cold outside to chill our carcass, we usually quarter it up and keep it in the fridge until chilled and easy to work with.

With that small a deer, it shouldn't be hard to find space. As we usually can, grind or jerk everything but the tenderloin, we usually don't "age" the meat. Not necessary.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Well, I butchered the deer. And I mean butchered. Had no idea what the heck I was doing and it took forever. I did get the skin off in one piece, except one tiny hole. What a learning lesson. I'll do better next time.

I made a stew tonight that was out of this world. YUM!!!

Ossy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. Congrats dude. So you'll enjoy the party lol ? :D

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Congrats on the dressing and the butchering!

bama boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
After we harvest our deer, we dress and cut it up, then put it in a cooler submerged and covered in ice. Change the water each day for 3 days, and all the blood and game is gone. We then fine tune the cuts, i.e. backstraps, tender loins, roasts, hind 1/4, and use all the rest of the meat to grind. The water really does the meat right.