Dried Cilantro instructions

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have never dried herbs, how do I go about doing this? my cilantro has gone crazy and the chicks don't like it so I have to do something with it. Thanks

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree, freeze it. It doesn't make as nice of a garnish, but for salsa or cooking its fabulous.

I squash mine into a pint or quart zip top bag, flatten it out & freeze it. Just break off a piece. It dices better frozen. too.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Several methods are a possibility depending on what type of equipment you have. These options are from a book called"How to dry foods by Deanna Delong"

Bag drying: After rinsing tie them together in a bunch, place them leaf end first into a lunch size paper bag with several 1/2 in holes in the sides, tie a string around the top of bag and hang in a warm place for 5-10 days.

Oven method: if you oven has the ability to adjust to 100*F and place the herbs on a window screen or nylon net one layer deep only and prop the door open slightly (with a kitchen towel etc) and check periodically.

Microwave: doing 4-5 stalks at a time sandwiched between paper towels first for 2-3 minutes and then 30 second intervals until complete if needed.

Dehydrator: This produces the highest quality. It takes between 1-3 hours at preheated temp of 90*, they should be the only thing in the dehydrator at the time due to they will absorb moisture from fruit etc.

Testing for doneness: They are done when they crumble easily stems should break away brittle, if not they will mold.
package them in airtight container and preferably dark container in a cool dry area (I use the fridge in canning jars)
Also do not crush or grind before storing, they will not maintain freshness as well, do as needed.
6 months to a years is the average shelf life for herbs! :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All herbs change flavor when dried. For some it doesn't really matter (oregano), for others the flavor is fine but "different" (tarragon, basil), and for others the result isn't worth the effort (parsley, chives). In my opinion cilantro falls in the third catagory. I would suggest either freezing it (chopped, in ice cubes trays, covered with water), or making something with it (wife's salsa). Another idea would be making a compound butter
(http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/03/27/fresh-herb-compound-butter/)
or a cilantro pesto
(http://www.talkoftomatoes.com/2007/05/01/move-over-basil-cilantro-is-the-new-pesto/)
(Both these links are one of many - google is your friend ;))
The butter freezes well, and so would the pesto I imagine.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ummm.....thanks a lot. I bought 12 cilantro plants for all the salsa I want to make this year. Because of this thread and other mentions of cilantro, I just took a nibble...... :sick Cleaning fluid! There should be cilantro-scented laundry soap and kitchen cleaners! GAAAAK!

Sorry..... :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That must be the "slightly soapy" taste I've heard mention of. I have no idea what all you soap-tasters are smoking though... :lol:

That compound butter looks absolutely delish!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a biochem proffessor a couple years ago tell us that the nasty cilantro complaint depends on whether or not you have a certain gene.

It tastes great to me, so I guess I don't have it.
I could eat a whole bouquet of cilantro! Yum!

vachicks

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I think I will freeze some and make some pesto!