Dried kidney beans

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahhh, good to know. thanks.

Ok I overcooked them. I think this batch will go in the fridge. Can I freeze beans?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't really have a specific recipe written down, it's more ingrained into my head, but I'll try to write it down here.

1 lb of red kidney beans
meat (I prefer smoked sausage, but I have used ham, ground beef, etc.)
1 chopped clove of garlic
1 chopped large onion
1 tablespoon of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (most people would probably want less, though)

Wash and pick beans.
Cover with cold water and soak for 3 - 4 hours or overnight (not absolutely needed as I sometimes just throw them on the fire).
Saute' the meat, onions, and garlic until the meat is browned.
Add the beans, and the water that they soaked in.
Cook on low until done.

Some people add cumin to taste, a bay leaf, a chopped celery rib, and/or bell pepper.

I'm not really one for writing recipes, so let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Serve hot, over rice. Fresh baked french bread on the side is nice.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, when you are going to pressure can beans, just soak them, don't cook them. Leave plenty of water in the jar for them to expand into. There should be a recipe in the booklet that came with the canner. They still might be mushy, I think the canning time is 45 minutes?

We love refried beans (we don't really "fry" them, we just saut'e some garlic and chopped onion and mash the beans, add salt and pepper.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Here are a couple good recipes: :)

Three Bean Salad
3 cans green beans, drained
3 cans wax beans, drained
3 cans red kidney beans, drained
3 cans garbanzo beans, drained
3 cans black beans, drained
3 red onions, chopped
3 green bell peppers, chopped
2 cups red wine vinegar
2 cups white sugar
2 cups vegetable oil
2 t ground dry mustard
1 t dried tarragon
1 T and 1 t dried cilantro

In large bowl, layer beans. In saucepan, pour remaining ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and pour over beans. Stir until coated. Marinate a few hours in the fridge, stirring occasionally. Serve.

Haitian Beans and Rice

8 ounces dry kidney beans
4 T olive oil
1 bulb shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked rice
2 bay leaves
1 t adobo seasoning
1 T kosher salt
ground black pepper to taste
t ground cloves
3 sprigs fresh parsley
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 scotch bonnet chile pepper

Cover beans in pot with 3 water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 hours or until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Heat oil in skillet. Saut shallot and garlic until fragrant. Stir in cooked beans and cook 2 min. Measure reserved liquid and add water to equal 5 cups. Stir into skillet. Stir in rice and all seasonings. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 18-20 min. Remove thyme, parsley and bonnet pepper. Serve.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh yes, just to clarify, I froze the last bag I made. I wanted to can them this time, but I think I;m just gonna freeze them again. So much going on, so I don't want to bother with the canner and taking the time to learn something new. I know, but I will learn later when I have more time--in the summer. Thanks for the recipes. I Have made the three bean salad before, and I have made refried beans before too. Yum!

eta-- I am soaking the beans right now. Bag said to soak for three hours in lukewarm water, strain,. In cold water bring to aboil and cook for 1 1/2 hours. I'm gonna let 'em soak for longer.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've started doing a reeeeally long soak on my beans. We're trying to eat more of them, cause they are so cheap. So I'll put a lb in a dish, cover with water and stick it in the fridge. The next day I'll rinse them and re-cover with water. I do the same the next day (so start on Monday, actually cook on Wed) 1 lb will feed my family of 4 for at least 2 meals, more if there are other veggies available or I use more rice. Every couple of days I start a new batch in the fridge and put the dish (covered) underneath the one previously started. I've got 2 dishes now, one thats almost ready, one that just got started, plus the cooked beans from yesterday :)

Works for me and since I started this, we haven't had any underdone beans. An added bonus is these beans cause less gastrointestinal effects :D

Cybercat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I once bought some dried split peas for soup- and they NEVER softened up! They were like little pieces of gravel...this was in Florida and I think that bag was really old....(not unlike a lot of the population...heheh!
Just kidding, folks....)