Drug Shortages

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One of the keywords I periodically use when searching news stories is the word "shortage". I also search "crop report", "inflation" and a few others, but the word shortage keeps bringing up stories on prescription drug shortages.

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20110518/LIFESTYLES03/105180308/Drug-shortage-hits-valley-hospitals
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110517..._leaves_adhd_patients_searching_for_options_1
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/newsfeatures/article/991443--global-drug-shortage-hits-toronto
http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/...ors_and_Pharmacists_Frustrated_121533584.html

From ADD meds to antibiotics, hospitals are reporting the worst shortages in 20 years. This isn't even making the headlines on the major news networks.

So what are you going to do if a med you need comes up short? Do you know herbal alternatives? Are you living in a way that allows you to minimize a need for meds?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
I personally don't take any medication, BUT I am making my own tinctures just in case. I have learned how to control my eczema without steroid cream, asthma with diet and migraines with alternative methods.

I do feel for people who need medications for more serious conditions.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is eczema the simular to proasis ( sp).. I have been going round and round with it since I turned 30.. I'm 54 now.. My mom had it and at least 3 of my 4 sisters have it.. I know its heriditary..
I sure hope my two boys don't get in later..
I'd love to learn some home remedies for it..

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I find it interesting that most of the shortages seem to be of the generics... less money in it for them and a lower priority to produce.

Go figure.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My question is what has changed so much in the last 3 years or so that drug makers can't fill demand?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Cynic that I am says that there is no supply problem, simply economics. Drop your lower $ value products with the least profit margin to concentrate on higher end. Some people will stop taking generics rather than upgrading but I bet there are enough people and doctors that will prescribe or buy the brand name to make up for it.

We all know they don't care if we're healthy or get well so if a few people can't afford what they need... ehh... who cares?

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to be honest this scares me because my youngest is on meds for life threatening seizures.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I do like that they aren't blaming the greedy manufacturers and are looking at all the possible reasons:

According to a report from the New York Times, significant numbers of college students are using Adderall -- a stimulant that has the potential to increase one's ability to focus and concentrate on a specific task -- nonmedically to help them cram for and perform better on exams.

Abuse of Adderall is on the rise and may very well be a contributing factor to the recent nationwide shortage of the drug.
The FDA does not actually communicate any shortages with manufacturers or health care providers.
The shortage problem defies easy explanation, said Tyler, who penned a recent article on the U.S. drug supply for the Journal of Hematology Oncology Pharmacy.

If (only) it would just be these greedy manufacturers,' he said. It's not that at all.

It's actually multiple, multiple issues coming to a head, and we're having a hard time figuring out what's the best solution.
Don't forget that a lot comes down to what insurance is willing to cover, as well. It's very complex and according to all these articles, the best thing is to find multiple sources for your meds.