Drugs

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I'm on an antibiotic from the dentist and I'm sitting here wondering y'know those antibiotics they sell at the feed store for animals? Can those be used safely on humans if there was an emergency?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well, all I know is my sister's old neighbor an Arabian horse breeder was addicted to horse drugs. I don't know what they were, but everyone knew about it. She ended up going to jail on animal abuse charges.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some can, some can't. I don't know for sure which are which though. Check out a book called Do it yourself medicine by Ragnar Benson. Its on my wishlist, I've browsed through it though, and he recommends getting emergency medicines through, among other places, vet supplies. You would have to be careful about dosage.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It would be good to know, in case there is an major emergency out there and all.

I think horse drugs work the best with humans, at least that is what I've often heard.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It was probably painkillers or tranquilizers that she was abusing, our former sherriff's wife (sherriff's wife?!?!) got busted for abusing horse tranqs. Its insane what drugs can do to people. I've known level headed people who just went completely off the deep end because they had surgery or the like and got addicted to the meds the dr had prescribed. Its terrible to watch and not be able to do anything...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I know some genaric forms of Ivermectin is often used for people in poor foriegn countries.. Probably wouldn't help much in an emergancy though.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
One of the dogs at work (guard dog) was prescribed an antibiotic.
The vet sent a bottle full of them. After 2 days the vet changed the meds. I snagged that bottle and ended up taking some of them. My DH took a few when he had an infected tooth. Everyone laughed at me. It saved us a couple of trips to the Dr. And it was an antibiotic I had taken before.

But....I knew exactly what it was and what to use it for. Anything else I would do some major research first. But a lot of animal meds are the exact same thing that people take. And much easier to come by.

Edited for fat finger spelling. LOL

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Match up generic names. Look at the concentration, make sure you use the correct dosage. For example you might have a medicine that could be 10mg per ml for a human, and for a horse it might be 50mg per ml.

So if the doctor orders in people dosage 100 mg for you 3 x day you would take 10ml three times a day.
But with the type of medicine from a vet, at 50mg per ml, f you would take 2ml three times a day.

The concentrations may be different and thats where you can get yourself in trouble. But yes, penicillin is penicillin, amoxicillin is amoxicillin, wether from a vet or a people pharmacy. I certainly would not say that all animal medicines are safe for people though, and visa versa. Only some will be, probably most of them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
2dream said:
One of the dogs at work (guard dog) was prescribed an antibiotic.
The vet sent a bottle full of them. After 2 days the vet changed the meds. I snagged that bottle and ended up taking some of them. My DH took a few when he had an infected tooth. Everyone laughed at me. It saved us a couple of trips to the Dr. And it was an antibiotic I had taken before.

But....I knew exactly what it was and what to use it for. Anything else I would do some major research first. But a lot of animal meds are the exact same thing that people take. And much easier to come by.

Edited for fat finger spelling. LOL
Now I know who to use for my own personal human lab experiments! :lol: You two are very brave! But you never know what could happen though, so it is good to know that in a dire emergency situation, you can use your feed store as a pharmacy.

I lived through the recent disasterous effects of Hurricanes Kartina, Rita and Ike. I've been one of those desperate people in a desperate situation. Luckly none of us were sick, but if we were, we had nowhere to turn for help for days. We had no access to the news for days. I understand what it is like to survive (granted it was only 11 days at the most) without communication with the rest of the world. I would have done anything to help my family if they were desprately sick.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have used my dog's left over antibiotics before, in a pinch! That was many years ago, but it worked well and saved me some money. Of course, being a nurse helps when choosing to take a med, be it for animal or human! :p

Try a good website called Drugs.com...will tell you just about anything you want to know about most any med and has been a good resource for me.