Dry Canning

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For years we thought we were German but only found out a couple of years ago our name was originally O'Ruairc. Apparently our name was Germanized (Is that a word?) when migrated to Germany.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't dry can my herbs, but I do vacuum seal them in jars. I have a Gamesaver so I bought the jar attachments long ago. Just wish it would work with bail jars. I don't want to risk those jars so no canning at all in them

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Great tips, @GettysburgGarden! Seasonal bargains like your ham is something I noticed here too, mainly with whole frozen turkeys after Xmas. I've seen them go for under €5 a bird at the cheaper supermarkets and I'm talking about nice big birds!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put an ad on craigslist asking for them, you will be amazed at people who have a box and no clue whatsoever.. make sure you pay well below new jar $ or barter something. Yard sales etc.. good luck.. they are out there and available

People here very much know how to date canning jars. Antiquing is a regional hobby. Most of my jars came from family over on the other side of the mountains.

New jars aren't that expensive. $6-7 for a dozen isn't bad for pints or quarts. Oyster jars (10 oz jars) are about $.50 each. Almost everyone uses those for canning their fish here.