Drying Herbs

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Are there any specifics on hanging up herbs to dry?? We are growing lavender and chamomile and want to use it in soaps and for frangrance. I was thinking I hang them up to dry and once they are dried out, then I could use them to steep in the water used in the soaps. Is that right?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're making it for "label appeal" then yes, that's fine... "chamomile tea" or whatever instead of water. However, if you're looking for the smell to come through in the final product, it's not going to, unfortunately.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
It depends on what you're looking for. If you're making it for "label appeal" then yes, that's fine... "chamomile tea" or whatever instead of water. However, if you're looking for the smell to come through in the final product, it's not going to, unfortunately.
Betta is right, heck lots of the dry products that never went through the heat and harsh chemicals of soapmaking have odor added back in the form of essential oils. Are you ready for another dirty secret? Many of the cheap essential oils come from chemical labs not from the source mentioned in the name. This is very hard to catch by testing and there are less than ten labs in the world equipped to do those tests.

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SHEESH! :/ What am I supposed to do with these herbs?!?! I have hoping to incorporate them into our soaps and of course meals...smh

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can still incorporate them into the soaps. Add the dried herbs at trace, or sprinkle them on top after you mold them. :) They will typically turn brown if incorporated into the soap batter itself, but will stay pretty on top.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
True about the oils. I have been doing hers for all sorts of things for years, mostly medical. The best way I have found to dry them is in a brown paper bag. If your doing bundles with stems, med. to lunch size bags work best. Make your bundles small enough to go "head first" into the bag with the stems sticking out. Tie or rubber band the bag to the stems. Hang stem side up in a dry place. Try not to have them in too hot an area or they may "cook". For smaller, looser herbs (like mint or flower heads) use a Med. to large bag. Just fill about 1/4 full, fold over the top a paper clip the top closed. Leave the bag "puffy". Gently shake the bag every day. Doing it this way will help keep the color and integrity of the herbs. Also if your doing mature flowers, you can catch the seeds for replanting.

Good luck and have fun!