Drying out oats after soaking without a dehydrator??

BeckyM

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've just finished reading Nourishing Traditions and I'm rethinking my granola/granola bar habit. I don't have a food dehydrator so I was wondering if anyone has had success with drying out quick oats and rolled oats after soaking them? Is a low oven an option?
Thanks!

Edited to fix the subject so it now reads "without a dehydrator". Oops :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, a low oven is an option, but many modern ovens only allow a low of 170 or so. That will dry them but may also roast them....which would be ok for granola and granola bars, right? Just stir them often. Let me know how it goes!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Hi sister! :D

And for the dehydrator, I guess it's best to use the plastic tray (for fruit leathers) since the oatmeal will fall through the holes in the other trays. Hmm. That would take a while to dry out large amounts of oats (enough for a batch of granola). Sounds like the oven may be the way to go.

BeckyM

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Katie! :D

Yep, I'll just give it a try in the oven and keep a close eye on it. Having a toasted flavor would be a bonus! :) And you're right, Katie, bigger batches of oats probably would be easier in the oven.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm doing good! I read this as drying out GOATS after soaking w/out a dehydrator! :ep

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BeckyM said:
Hi Katie! :D

Yep, I'll just give it a try in the oven and keep a close eye on it. Having a toasted flavor would be a bonus! :) And you're right, Katie, bigger batches of oats probably would be easier in the oven.
Prop the oven door open with a spoon if the temp is too high.

If I do not soak my oats, I get rather sick when I eat them.
I soaked and dried a batch for gluten free cookies on Sunday, and I loved how the oats were chewy from the process.

Our7Wonders

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Good idea! I have yet to own an oven that goes below 170*

BeckyM

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great tip about the spoon!

I've learned something that I thought I should share. Don't soak quick oats! LOL My favorite granola recipe calls for half rolled oats and half quick oats. The quick oats caused the soaking mixture to turn to wallpaper paste. It seized up and I couldn't even stir it. I guess I'll have to only use rolled oats in the future and hope my granola still forms clumps like it used to because of the quick oats.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our7Wonders said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Good idea! I have yet to own an oven that goes below 170*
Try a small light bulb in a box. The wattage of the bulb and the size of the box can produce a whole range of low heat temps.