Duchess had her babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Duchess the grey sheep has three little lambs!!!!!!!!! All appear to be doing well, although mum still has something haning out of her. She doesn't appear to still be contracting, and her demeanor is fine. Will this take care of itself or do I need to intervene?
The lambs were damp, so I figure she muct have birthed a few hours ago. any advice? I'm heading over to BYH to post there.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Does it look like the placenta?

If so, do not pull it out, let her pass it herself. If you pull it out some could get stuck inside and cause problems.

Now we need pictures..

Edit;

You could give her some Gatorade in some warm water and probios too. How cold is it there? Have you got a heat lamp or something similar?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya hoo
yippee
wonderful
you got 3
COOL

leave the afterbirth alone, it will come out, she will eat it probaby unless you take it away.....I let mine eat them usually.

make sure she has alot of water and some light feed and alot of hay and let nature take its course.

pics later please! :)

OH ALL THE EMERGENCY INFO you sucked up---did you need any? Sounds like all was textbook!!!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FC, one needs to be prepared just in case :) We were able to dip the umbilical cords of two of the lambs, and will get the last one later. I didn't want to stress them out too much, and they were trying to suckle so we just backed off to let nature take its course. When we check later on, we will see if they all have suckled., Plus we will go back and take pics.

DD and I were just getting out of the truck coming in from town, and I heard Dolly, the other sheep baaaaa, so of course we baaaa'd back, and then we heard a tiny little baaaaa.
:ya

Well, lemme tell ya, I don't run, like the house is on fire? No, I;ll walk quickly out of the house, type of 'I don't run'. Well, when I hear that little baaaa, followed by another little baaaaaa, one lamb was out of the sheep house, with the other one sticking its cute little head out--- I RAN!! IN SNOW!! Oooh they are just so precious! :love

OK, back down to earth for a moment. Yes, I believe it is still placenta, so I will just let her expel it naturally.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
So happy for you! :celebrate :weee Pics, of course, are a necessity right now...... :D Must see the baby sheeples! :love

Latest posts