Duck for Dinner

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting ducks and wanted to see what it tastes like. I ended up buying a couple ducks and had them processed. I made one of the ducks tonight for dinner. I found a very simple recipe. Just rub sea salt and marjoram on the inside and outside and put in roaster. Cut some slits in the skin to let the fat run out.

The duck turned out delicious. Not fatty at all. There really wasn't that much fat in the bottom of the roaster either. Also the flavor was great. Just enough flavor but the flavor of the meat still came out. I think my only complaint is that there really didn't end up being much meat. This was a Pekin duck so I guess I expected more meat on it. We will only get 2 meals out of it for only 2 people.

Since DH is so against getting ducks, I guess I will just forgo on the ducks for now. Maybe someday when we are down in animal numbers, maybe get a couple as pets or something.

But I will say that duck is very good!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I cant wait until my Muscovies start making babies. I will be having Duck Dinner. :drool

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Duck in the smoker is really good too.

I know what you mean about the amount of meat. I had a Pekin that looked a lot bigger than it was.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
What kind of ducks did you buy? We had our first scovy a while ago, and it was delish.
How old was it and what did it weigh?

Muscovies are my meat flock...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does your dh hunt?

Tony has that sportsmen license and he can hunt anything...lol

I am desperately trying to convince him to go duck hunting...he never did it but I would love a dozen ducks in the freezer.

I checked prices at the store and one small frozen duck was about $15. Way not worth it to me to buy it.

I won't be raising ducks, never liked fowl or poultry anyway LOL

so I gotta be gettin' my ducks by hunting and fingers crossed that Tony will take up duck hunting

Duck is absolutely delish!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
See, my hubby hunts, and I have repeatedly told hubby not to hunt ducks specifically. Canada goose I love. mallard or any other duck for that matter, I can NOT stand. I was told going in that scovies tasted more like goose than duck and it is true. We considered briefly about getting different kinds f ducks here, but I can't justify raising ducks that I cannot enjoy eating. If you like them, duck hunting is a great pass-time. for me, not so much. somethng about the texture.

the+blessed+life

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How long did you cook it and at how many degrees? I butchered a few ducks this year, but haven't cooked any yet. Thanks!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The Pekin ducks were about 16 weeks old. I should have weighed them but I didn't. They were pretty good size.

I had the oven on at 325 and roasted it for about 2.5 hours. I do put a lot of water in the bottom of the roaster.

DH doesn't hunt. Right now it is all a learning curve for us. I did enjoy the duck but will probably stick to the cornish x meat birds since it seems you get the most bang for your buck.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea no denying that ducks sure don't carry tons of meat on them lol

Latest posts