Duck with broken leg

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Im looking for some opinions. We have a duck that somehow broke her leg, right above her "ankle". My husband took her to the university he works for and had the vet tech teacher and students x-ray her. The teacher suggested to float her for a week, or to make a sling for her to lay in that would let her feet dangle below. She is a Muskovie. I know that they are not as keen on water as other breeds of ducks. Would she be ok being in water for a week straight? Or do you think she would be better in the sling?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe you could sling her for a few days then float her for a few after that?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
Im looking for some opinions. We have a duck that somehow broke her leg, right above her "ankle". My husband took her to the university he works for and had the vet tech teacher and students x-ray her. The teacher suggested to float her for a week, or to make a sling for her to lay in that would let her feet dangle below. She is a Muskovie. I know that they are not as keen on water as other breeds of ducks. Would she be ok being in water for a week straight? Or do you think she would be better in the sling?
SLING ! Her feathers could become soaked in a lot less than a week and she could die if she could not get out. Muscovy are perching ducks and don't spend a lot of time on the water.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd

Ya know, even as a novice flock raiser, I KNEW that didnt sound right. Muskovies like to take a bath everyday, but they dont like to swim around very much. Sling it is then. Hopefully she will make a full recovery. If not, it's duck fajitas!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
given its position it would be difficult to splint it but you could try with some popsicle sticks and medical tape. but yeah baring a splint id say sling rather than float, heck i dont think id float a water LOVEING duck breed for more than 8 hours at a time. any duck would get waterlogged.

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey Pink

Yeah, the vet tech people did splint it and gave us some injections to give her. Although Im not sure what the injections are. Maybe pain killer?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
~gd

Ya know, even as a novice flock raiser, I KNEW that didnt sound right. Muskovies like to take a bath everyday, but they dont like to swim around very much. Sling it is then. Hopefully she will make a full recovery. If not, it's duck fajitas!
DUH females usually can fly and over the years I have had a few one legged ducks [snapper turtles] only free ranging is a problem If you feed them a one legged muscovy will brood just about anything from geese to quail eggs. Your bird your choice.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How is the muscovy with the broke leg doing ???? is it or has it healed ????

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I must not have understood about floating her. If her leg is broken, she still would have needed her foot to swim. And I have found a dead duck in water, which it apparently couldn't get out of......couldn't have been in there for a day....maybe half.
I must admit.....I'd have killed her. Unless I would be really talented with this kinda thing, it would have been a long shot saving her anyway and I'm a nurse.
I am wondering if she made it.