Duckling died *problem solved*

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of our 4 week old ducklings died during the night. I have no idea why, but I'm thinking the thunderstorm may have caused a heart attack or injury. It was fine when we locked them up last night.
Poor little guy who's left is crying for his buddy. :hit Poor thing almost ran right to me. Almost :p My daughter is crying because, well, that's what she does bless her heart.
Here's the thing - I probably have the option to get another (that came in the same batch as mine) from my friend and hope they can bond.
I also have a batch due in at the post office today or tomorrow, but the size difference would be crazy so I don't think that would comfort him much.
I'm just thinking out loud here really, but if you have any thoughts or experiences, I appreciate them. I am kicking myself for not taking 3 to begin with for this very reason. Always get more than 2!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
he'll be fine with any other buddy... so the one from the other clutch or the friends coming today/tomorrow will be fine. its ok. these things happen.

sorry
:-(

and wowza what a storm! we had a lightening strike close to the house. whooot! what a show!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That storm was insane!

What a crazy morning! I just got back from the post office with the babies. It worked out well because my daughter had something to cheer her up before going off to school. Goodness they are so tiny! :love
My lone duckling perked up when he heard all the chirping so I may bring him inside and put him next to the babies in a little while. I'm going to call my friend soon and see about another 4 week old duckling.
I need a drink now :caf

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you put him where he can see and hear the babies, but not get to them, I bet he will calm right down.

I sold Chrissy (my broody) and one of her brood yesterday so I have a single 4 1/2 week old drake in with my bigger ducks. They are picking on him :p He is going up for sale today though so hopefully I can get him a new home. If not the big ducks are going to find themselves confined to part of the pen until he gets a little bigger.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll bring him in to be near the little ones - as soon as I'm sure there is no illness. I gave him some electrolytes. He looks fine so I am left wondering what happened :hu They have been foraging alot, so maybe it was vitamin related. Or maybe it got too cold. Who knows...
I am also going to pick up another 4 week old sometime this week - we actually need it for DD's 4-H project. Bases covered.

Wife - why did you sell Chrissy? Too broody? Hope you find your remaining drake a home soon. It's so sad when they are peeping for a friend.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Chrissy was NOT a friendly duck. She was a rescue that had been used to train herding dogs. Her opinion of people (and dogs) was NOT very high. Since I can only keep around 6 ducks, I need them all to be people-ducks. Chasing down a crazed wild one to check for bumblefoot, treat scrapes, move to a broody pen, etc... is a big pain. Plus she was teaching all the babies to be deathly afraid of people. Not good.

I found her a home here :D
http://www.spottedhorsebarnyard.com/

Dorit doesn't handle her ducks, just herds them in at night. They get to free range and there are some predators in her area, so she WANTS an over-protective broody machine :D Perfect fit!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: Wife - I had to read your statement about Chrissy herding dogs twice. I was thinking - I have never heard of ducks that herd dogs :p Then I realized that it's probably the other way around :gig I think my brain has had all it can take this morning :p

Wifezilla

Reaction score
As ornery as she is she probably DID herd the dogs! :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My friend just dropped off another 4 week old, and they acted like they have been best friends forever :) That's a load off my mind!

However, my duck is about 2x the size of hers, and they came from the same batch. Only difference in feeding is that mine like to free range more than hers. Hers walks better than mine - more fluid I guess I would describe it. Mine seems clumsy. I'm wondering if mine have gotten too heavy too fast? And could that have caused the death?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
could be the larger one is a male....

but glad he got a little friend! dontcha just love the little peepin noises!!?

:)

re: your loss
honestly it could be anything. is the lawn treated? do you have chlorinated water? anything that is NOT duck food (i dont give any treat and let their momma teach them to free range).. for instance you have non-medicated food, right? (the dumor brand from TSC is easy)

and really they put just about anything in their little mouths.. could have been a piece of string, something noxious, etc.

or he might have tried to scoot under the other one in the storm from fear and could have smothered. WifeZ - do you know if ducks tend to pile like turkeys and such?

or maybe he got chilled. try not to blame yourself tho, really. crazy things happen when poultry is involved.

:)