Ducklings & Goslings questions (see final post for update)

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I ordered 10 silkies, 10 blue sweedish ducks and a pair of geese from Ideal Poultry. I have always had great success with everything I have ever ordered from them so I am wondering if its something I did. Sequence of events: All birds arrived alive. On my drive home from the post office one duckling died. Its a 15 min drive. I am not upset about this. A loss or 2 is expected. Since I knew the birds were coming, I had brooder all warmed up and ready. Everyone is placed in the brooder and I notice another duck does not look to good. An hour later its dead and one of my geese looks a little lethargic (sp). 2 hours later the gosling is dead and the other one looks like its going to keel over at any minute. 3 hours later another duck and the gosling is gone. Since then nothing. Everyone else is happy, healthy and doing great.
So - since everyone else is doing great - I don't "think" its something I did but I have never raised goslings before. At almost 30 bucks for the pair I was trying to be extremely careful with them and do everything by the book. Any input would be helpful. It was to late to call Ideal with the news Friday so I am going to call them Monday morning. But I would like your thoughts before I call and (a) expect replacements or (b) spend another 30 bucks.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's not your fault.Sounds like smething either from the hatchery, or something went wrong in shipping. You should expect replacements. Nothing you could have done to save them, they were apparently sick with something upon arrival to have died that quickly. :hugs Ideal, from what I have heard at least, are pretty reasonable about such things. You shouldn't have any trouble with them sending replacements I wouldn't think.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Thanks Wannabe. Ideal has always been great. Never a problem. They are my hatchery of choice always. I just did not want to complain or expect something if there was a possibility it was my fault. Geese are new to me so I was scratching my head and wondering - Is it me? What could I have done so wrong in so short a time?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
doesnt sound like anyhting you did, so id definatly be expecting replacment or full refund for the lost birds.
unless ou were blasting the AC in the car a 15 min car ride is nothing...sounds like a bad batch or shipping stress. how long were they in transit?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
They shipped on the 21st and I got them on the 23rd. I was sitting in front of the post office waiting for them to call me. They always call right around 7 a.m. When I got the call, I laughed and told them I was walking in the door. As I was hanging up the postman opened up the half door and ask me my name. I told him and he handed me the birds. I drove half a block to my office, went in with the birds, opened the box, checked the birds, noticed 1 duckling did not look good. Put the top back on, got in my car and drove 15 min to the house. Walked straight to the brooders. Checked temps, placed chickens and ducks together, put goslings in seperate brooder just for them. Chickens and ducklings temp was at 94/95, gosling brooder was at 89/90. Every thing I read said the goslings needed a slightly lower temp. Plus I did not want the other birds crowding and pushing them. Fresh water with rocks to large to swallow in the bottom of the waterers to keep everyone from climbing in and getting wet but able to get plenty of water. I used waterfowl food for all the birds. There is no waterfowl starter to be had around here so I used my coffee grinder to crumble the pellets.
The rest of the birds are doing well. No other losses. I am really thinking they were just very stressed or something. Everyone else is happy and either chirpy or peepy. I love baby chicks and ducks.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've not raised geese but I've done some ducks and sounds like you were spot on. Let us know what Ideal says, I've always heard they have great customer service.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didd you watch the birds to see how they did with water? I received instructions with my mailled goslings {Holdereeds) to watch to be sure that they each drank water in the brooder but not to excess. They should drink and quite,if they seemed to be frantic for water it should be removed and replaced after 15-20 minitues. It seems that goslings tend to dehydrate more than ducks do in shipping. Just like humans they should not be allowed to rehydrate too rapidity, Because if left to themselves they tend to overhydrate and the results can be fatal. After drinking to excess they act like they are drunk which either starts to get better and they recover fairly quickly, or they die.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Update. Ideal Poultry Rocks. The are the bestest hatchery ever. They are reshipping the geese. Different kind because the ones I ordered are done for the year but thats not a problem because I don't care what kind I get I just want geese. They are even replacing the ducks even though I told them they did not have to. The only other place you get that kind of customer service is Sierra Trading Post. Or thats the only other place I know of.
Maybe we should start a thread on places with above average customer service.

~gd - Yes I did watch them with the water. All birds were allowed to drink and then I removed waters for 15/20 minutes. Replaced them and watched. No one seemed inclined to over do it so I left them in. I really think it was just the stress.