DUCKS-CHICKENS CO-HABITAT?

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
"Monster broody poop" is right! Nasty stuff and something you don't want to be within shot of. :D

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OFG, thanks for input, I too have a wooden floor in my coop. So maybe in coop for ducks,in a different place, that way they can have the other pasure to roam, and that cow will just have to share his space lol

Of course this spring he will have to share it with 2 spring lambs that I will be getting.

Sometimes this hobby farming is to complacated lol

Thanks for info Cinebar, that settles it Iam gettin Muscovy ducks this spring.

Yeah Iam in Yakima, and you?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
seriously! she's a LITTLE duck! where the heck did that all come from!

even the pigs were like "THAT IS SO GROSS"..and thats sayin' something coming from them!

i just followed her around with a hose until the deed was done then i washed that vile bilge all away.

and wow when i picked her up every morning i ran for the door lest she let it fly while i was holding her!

but i love my little Miss Dash - she is a peach!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I know Iam new to chickens and ducks and I have only had one chicken that went broody on me,but she got ove that,but what the heck is up with broody poop???

So do all birds that are broody poop like that?

Teach me ol wise ones

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Yeah Iam in Yakima, and you?
I'm on the "other side" of the mountains, in Lewis County.

If you're serious about Muscovies and you don't have your heart set on picking out your own (and you would trust me to pick you out however many you wanted), I would be willing to meet you somewhere. I'm about 65 miles from the top of White Pass.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds do-able Cinebar, I trust your judgement, as you are more knowledgeable at ducks than me. I think I would just need a few, maybe 2 hens and a drake, your thoughts?? email me

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My scovie eggs are bigger than chicken eggs obviously - but they feel different, almost silky to the touch, and very smooth compared to a chicken egg.
:D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
deb4o said:
So I know Iam new to chickens and ducks and I have only had one chicken that went broody on me,but she got ove that,but what the heck is up with broody poop???

So do all birds that are broody poop like that?

Teach me ol wise ones
Yep, the chickens, ducks, and turkeys all have broody poop.
:sick stinkiest poos ever!!!

they could scare skunks away.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Sounds do-able Cinebar, I trust your judgement, as you are more knowledgeable at ducks than me. I think I would just need a few, maybe 2 hens and a drake, your thoughts?? email me
Two hens and a drake would be a good start.

The ones that I mentioned that go in the cage every night were handraised and are very, very friendly. There are four hens and a very large young drake who always greets me with a wagging tail. :)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Sometimes this hobby farming is to complacated lol
hee hee hee nah not complicated.. just got to get all the pieces of poultry sorted out. and "stack" your barnyard! hens with goats, ducks with sheep - thats the way it should be! just need to watch what poultry is where.

we moved the ducks into their own 'garage' (a little addition to the hen house) with a deep gravel floor. it works great - and we can lock them all up at nite. with the extra big door its easy to herd them all in. we put straw down to keep them warm and dry but it doenst matter how much spashin' they do - we can just shovel it out. in the hen house they started to really make things soggy and i could smell the straw going bad almost every nite. now that they are gone the hen house is bone dry!

and its PERFECT to have ducks with other pasture animals.. they are great for pest control! many 'grazing/browsing' critters have parasites that dont "bug" chickens or ducks at all... and they are food!

the cutest thing you'll see is baby ducks chasing flies and they really make a difference!

as far as a starter set - i'll echo what someone else said - a laying trio is the way to go. but be careful! Miss Dash hatched EIGHTEEN BABIES this spring, then 4 more not too long ago! you'll be up to your eyeballs in ducks in no time!

and yes the broody poop is common to all the poultry. just wait for a setting turkey to do it... the horror.... the horror....

but the babies are so cute - check it out. Miss Dash and one of the little ones:

1173_dash_and_baby.jpg

is this a happy PEEP or what!?!?
1173_hap-peep.jpg

Latest posts