Dumb Quest. re: cake frosting

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
got a dumb question
I am not a baker, don't pretend to be..LOL

I have Confectioners Sugar. On the side to make buttercream icing is real easy! BUT how do I make chocolate flavor?

Do I melt choc. chips and add....or do I add just cocoa powder? No clue....thanks all you good bakers out there for telling what to add to make it chocolate! :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its the cocoa powder. Here is a really good recipe for chocolate frosting with variations depending on the richness you want.

Ingredients
* 1/2 cup butter, softened (you can use margarine but the flavor will not be the same)
* 2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk (can use unwhipped whipping cream in place of half and half)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
* 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for light)
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for medium)
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (for dark rich)
Directions
Cream the butter in a small bowl.
Blend in the cocoa powder (the amount desired for a light, medium or dark flavor), vanilla, confectioners sugar, alternately with the cream.
Beat with an electric mixer, until the desired texture is achieved.
because of the additional cocoa powder more cream may have to be added in to reach desired consistency.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks so much sufficient!
I copied this and you told me everything I would ever need to know to make chocolate flavor!
Thanks!--printing it out! :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your welcome! Have fun, It will definitely give you your chocolate fix for the day :D

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ummmmm buttercream frosting, nothing like it is there? My brother always asks for the piece that has the most frosting on it.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA
HM that is funny cause Tony surveys a cake and check frosting depth also...HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The last couple of yrs my dad & brother have been fighting over the frosting. If I make the cake my dad will ask where the leftover frosting is! :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA

eat it right out of the bowl huh? smart man!! :)

One problem I have with Tony is---if I ask him to carve meat, he picks and picks as he is cutting. He eats a full meat meal before serving..LOL-LOL

I gotta slap his fingers, one day I am going to get cut on a knife..HA HA

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yeah he will eat it out of the bowl but he also puts more on his plate then. I asked them once if they liked the extra icing because they did not like the taste of my cakes & they laughed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HA HA HA
you called him on that. that is funny
I am sure he loved the cake...but we all know the frosting is the life of the cake..HA HA

I saw a thanksgiving commercial on TV---it showed the Dad scooping out the center of the pumpkin pie with a spoon, then as Mom walks in he ladles whipped topping over the middle....sneaky but it is always that way! :)

the simple things in life are great....like extra frosting..HA HA