Durum Wheat & Pasta Making...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone know who sells Durum wheat here in the US...? You can find hard, soft ,red, white,spring and winter wheat for sale easy enough.However, i've never seen any of the wheat selling websites, co-op ,etc selling durum wheat.I want to make homemade pasta, durum semolina is said to be the best for this.Can any good hard high protein wheat be used with good results, besides durum..? Any useful tips on the topic would be much appreciated...

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Walton Feed has it. I used to order it all the time from them.

Yes, you can use hard red wheat or hard white wheat for pasta, but durum is SO much better!

I always used half durum, half hard white. The difference is in the texture, color, and ease of handling.

Durum is different - more chewy, less sticky. So it handles dryer, and you don't get soggy noodles. If you mill durum wheat it comes out as a yellower flour, and the noodles LOOK yellower, so they look more like you expect noodles to look.

If you order from Walton, it is best to order 200 lbs of stuff if you can afford to, because the shipping drops by almost half at that weight. Up to that point, you'll find that the shipping almost triples the cost of the wheat.

I find the durum wheat to be well worth it though, because the pasta is so good. We made spaghetti, lasagna, elbow type noodles, and others with that, as well as little half-round cheese ravioli that is just SOOOO good.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Laura for the helpful hints and advice..:) I'll check out Walton Feeds..thanks again

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ravioli

1 egg
1 cup cottage cheese, chevre, or ricotta (homemade cheese is good!)
1 tsp parsley
1/4 cup shredded or grated parmesan
Sprinkle of pepper

Pasta (I don't have the recipe, but any simple egg pasta will do)

Stir the first five ingredients together and set aside.

Roll out the pasta, and cut into circles or rectangles - we use one of those little 2" plastic clamshell pocket makers to cut and shape them, but you can use a 2" X 4" rectangle also.

Put a spoonful of the filling on the pasta, and fold the pasta over. Seal the edges (either pinch the clamshell closed, or press the edges with a fork).

Repeat until your dough or filling runs out.

Heat a pot of boiling water. Drop the ravioli in, and boil for about 2-3 minutes. If one bursts, drain them immediately, that is a sure sign they are done.

Serve with marinara, or pesto, but CAREFUL. The flavor is so delicate, that too much strong sauce will completely overpower it.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like a tasty recipe Laura..! thanks