dwarf fruit trees...

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hey all! it has been way too long since i have been on here :( anyway, i am looking into(again) getting some dwarf fruit trees, banana, orange and lemon. at least for now. i found some that are being sold that are 3-5 years old. i was wondering if anyone had experience with these types of trees?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I don't know where you're from, but those fruits all like places with mild winters. Meyer lemons can be grown in a pot pretty well and covered or brought in for the coldest nights.
I haven't ever raised dwarf bananas but the regular sized ones usually send up suckers freely. We always let them. After the parent plant produces a stalk of bananas we chopped that one up and used it to mulch the others, so the soil wouldn't get depleted.
We only had full sized orange trees, so no advice about dwarfs on them.

S

sunsaver

The three plants that you mentioned will survive in the ground from the warmer parts of zone 8 and further south or west near the pacific coast. Zone 7 or colder, and you will need to bring them inside during the winter. Dwarf apples and other fruit trees will grow most anywhere in the US. Many types of fruits, such as certain types of raspberry, most currants and gooseberries, honeyberry, many cultivars of grape are not well suited the heat and drought of the deep south.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Never had any experience, with those dwarfs. But they rewuire warmth and sun, so if your not in south, south Georgia, Florida, or California. I'd say its a no go.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've had good luck with dwarf citrus, both in large pots, like whiskey barrels, and in the ground in central AZ and SoCal. I currently have a dwarf Valencia orange and it produces about 100 lbs per year. My Bearss lime has only been in its pot 1 year and had a small crop already. I like Meyer or Lisbon lemons. Citrus generally need a lot of iron, so be ready with some supplements.

I have never tried a banana. I've seen them at local botanical gardens, but they are not consistent producers here.