Dye your own hair!

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I decided for Halloween I'd dye my hair pink. Yes, I know odd. But please remember I'm still young and do crazy things.

Anyways, I had to bleach my hair to get the pink on it. I was scared at first, but with DH help the bleaching went great. It looked just like the hilites that I pay tons of money for at the stylist.

I used a product called Brilliant Blonde from Sally Beauty Supply. It came with the cap, needle (pick?) gloves, bleach powder and diffuser, and a nice plastic bowl. It was really easy. Just make sure you do a test in inconspicous (sp?) area first.It was only like $10! and I didn't have to sit at the salon forever. I'm never going back to stylist as long as he will help me.

Just a thought to help save some money.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did this a LOT in college. I had blonde hair, black hair, pink hair, purple hair, blue hair, fire-engine red hair... long hair, short hair, shaved head, curly hair... I was crazy with the hair in college and for a few years after. But then once my hair started falling out, I quit it. :lol:

Still, lots of fun, and easy to do at home. Just be sure you protect your clothes and your stuff from getting bleachy. And don't let it sit on your scalp too long. Caustic, nasty stuff, but fun to play with.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
after bleaching your hair dont count on the pink comming out so easily. My sister had pink hair for my moms wedding because I bleached it and still couldnt get it out, and shes a natural blond. And Im a hair dresser.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
after bleaching your hair dont count on the pink comming out so easily. My sister had pink hair for my moms wedding because I bleached it and still couldnt get it out, and shes a natural blond. And Im a hair dresser.
Haha! You got that right...funny story for you all...I always bleached my hair...until about 2 years ago. It was very blonde and I wanted to try a temporary change, so I bought this bottle of non permanent hair colour...it was supposed to be dark burgundy. Well in my hair it ended up being almost fire engine red...no kidding. The kids at the school where I worked thought it was just hillarious and they weren't afraid to say so! Anyway...it didn't wash out, I had to go out and buy a very dark brown to cover it...anyway I will never do that again!

Flusher

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
But then once my hair started falling out, I quit it.
A word to the wise..... :lol:
I gave up the vegetarian lifestyle based on this same issue. That, and dang it, those veggie burgers just aren't as good as real cow.