dyeing eggs

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks!

I think I am going to try some of those with my daughter. I have done the onion peel dyeing before, it was pretty neat.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One pretty thing to do while dying eggs is to pick some attractive leaves - I go to the herb garden; parsley is nice - place one or two on the undyed egg, and hold them in place with a bit of old pantyhose, knotted at both ends. Place the whole thing into the dye, and remove pantyhose and leaves afterwards. (Sorry, this was years ago that I did this - I don't remember if I waited for the eggs to dry or not - I think the chance of smearing is greater when they are wet, but if you try it you might try both ways)

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Good article, I remember Mum doing this when I was young, she also used to brew tea and coffee and dye eggs with that. Don't remember the eggs tasting of either, but it is a long long while ago.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just wanted to throw in that I used commercial food colors to dye duck eggs last year and the colors were incredible! I should try some with the natural dyes this year and see what I get.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'll throw in my 2 cents here.....just read a tip from a reader in Family Fun magazine. She puts her eggs in wire whisks and then gives one to each of her kids to hold in the dye bath....no mess and easier for the younger kids to handle the eggs without breaking them or getting dye all over their hands. I saw that and thought, "well, duuuuuuhhhhhh". :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
I'll throw in my 2 cents here.....just read a tip from a reader in Family Fun magazine. She puts her eggs in wire whisks and then gives one to each of her kids to hold in the dye bath....no mess and easier for the younger kids to handle the eggs without breaking them or getting dye all over their hands. I saw that and thought, "well, duuuuuuhhhhhh". :D
Oh, yeah.....! I wish I'd thought of that.....

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rty007 said:
alright.. a little bit of "pisanki" and "wydmuszki" ;)

http://www.pisanki.info.pl/
there are some photos on the bottom of all madness and kinds

http://www.tuti.art.pl/galeria.php?id=10
chicken eggs, "scrapes" they are mighty beautiful and do not take any equipment apart from a needle or a knife but take loads of time and talent.
rty007, I have long admired the beautiful eggs from the Ukraine http://www.learnpysanky.com/ (I even have a carton of blown out eggs waiting for me to get up the energy and the nerve to try the technique - I've had that carton for more than 10 years! :lol:). But the eggs on the sites you posted make the Ukrainian ones look simple! Wow! Thank you for posting this.