DYI Potato Cultivator

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok so my father every year is determined he is going plant as many potatoes as possible. Last year he planted about an acre of about 6 different varieties. The fall comes around and he needs a ton of help to dig them all up. We usually come up and dig a couple rows for him...which takes about 4 hours with my children. He has a rototiller which he prepes the rows and keeps the weeds down. Has any one ever made a DYI potato cultivator/harvestor. He is not a spring chicken and I worry about him digging up all those spuds. He is very handy with a welder and can make almost anything. I just want to get some ideas in his head before the next season. Thanks.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I have no experience harvesting potatoes by hand, but I would guess that an acre would be tough to do, especially as a person gets older. It may be worth hiring someone with a tractor and a middle buster plow, or a the very least, hiring some energetic teenagers.

If he has a riding lawnmower, he may be able to fabricate something similar to a middle buster for it.