Earache

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just tried it and it works.

Crush a garlic clove and place in a large spoon, add olive oil and heat to infuse for a few seconds until bubbling.

Allow to cool, before dripping into the aching ear.

After a few minutes massage the ear and move your jaw up and down to get penetration.

The garlic is anti-inflamatory and anti-septic and it works.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's awesome info! DD is prone to ear issues. Thanks!

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mom always put a damp wash cloth over a heating pad and had me lie with my ear directly on the heating pad/washcloth. Usually within 30-40 minutes it would drain.

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Mom always put a damp wash cloth over a heating pad and had me lie with my ear directly on the heating pad/washcloth. Usually within 30-40 minutes it would drain.
I'm going to have to remember this one! Sounds like it would feel good.

I use garlic oil, too, but I make mine a different way. I take a bulb of garlic, peel the cloves and cut them in half. Place them in a small jar and cover with extra virgin olive oil, organic if you can. Put the lid on the jar, and set it on the counter for 3-5 days. At this point, I pour a small amount into an even smaller jar, and store it in my medicine drawer so it's ready to use anytime. The rest is stored in the fridge. As the tiny jar empties, I just refill from the one in the fridge (warm to room temp first as the olive oil hardens in the fridge).

Doing it this way takes longer at the beginning, but after that it's always ready to go. No need to heat and then let cool. You can even use the garlic bulbs in the jar for cooking. The oil preserves them for a long time. The oil is also good to use on athletes foot and other rashes. Smelly, but works!

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
nmred said:
I'm going to have to remember this one! Sounds like it would feel good.
Drape the heating pad over the armrest of a sofa, use as a pillow.

krstms

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have tried the garlic and olive oil recipe. The only differnce is in mine I also steep mullein flowers in the oil. It does help with ear aches.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just tried it and it works.

Crush a garlic clove and place in a large spoon, add olive oil and heat to infuse for a few seconds until bubbling.

Allow to cool, before dripping into the aching ear.

After a few minutes massage the ear and move your jaw up and down to get penetration.

The garlic is anti-inflamatory and anti-septic and it works.
WOW!! Never thought that garlic can be an alternative for earache.

joejohnson

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm going to try the garlic infused oil on my son. He has been having chronic ear infections and going to the Dr is getting VERY expensive with little results. I'll let everyone know how this goes.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I overheard a mom saying their pediatrician won't prescribe antibiotics for ear infections any more. She said she just pours vinegar in the child's ear. (Warmed, I presume) Ever heard of that?

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Learned this one when my DD was an infant and having chronic ear infections and reacting to all the meds drs would give and they were starting to talk about putting tubes in.
1 part rubbing alcohol and 1 part apple cider vinegar. I keep it in a little dropper bottle I got from the pharmacist. A few drops in the ear at first sign of ear ache or even just a cold if really prone to developing ear aches. Every 2 hours for the first day and every 4 after that.
Cured her chronic problems after just a few months of using this instead of going to the doctor. She would generally have a new one every two to three weeks. She is still prone to them but never has one last more than two days with this remedy and only a few times a year now.
Tried the garlic oil too. It helped but not as well. I think it may be the combination of the drying affects of the alcohol and the anti bacterial/viral of the vinegar that did the trick for her.