Earthbag/Sandbag homes

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Me? I'm all over green building! Love love love it! Can't wait to do it :)
:thumbsup

So are you thinking of doing some earthbag? I don't have the sand/dirt deposits to do it locally. Clay, got plenty of that.

It's a labor intensive project, like any of the natural buildings.

I do like the looks of the peaked roofs, they look like they belong in a Smurf village :lol:

Here's some links from my bookmarks
http://www.naturalhomes.org/learning-earthbag.htm
http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/
http://www.okokok.org/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/Earthbag-Building-Garden-Shed.aspx

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks! Those were some cool sites! They do look like a Smurf Village don't they? :lol:

I think this would be labor intensive, but not as bad as a straw bale structure, which was my plan for my future coop. Now off to do more researach!

(I love that the roof is also made out of the earthbags too.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am saving all my feedbags and my dad is, too, and we are gonna build an earthbag root cellar in a mound of dirt and stumps at the end of my pasture that the bulldozer guy made (to save me some money, he just piled up the excess in a big mound. Didn't know it would be useful someday!)

I will cut the feed bags in half to make two earthbags each out of them. I will cover my building with sod and grow grass on it. The challenge will be getting some steel support beams for the roof. I will start looking on craigslist as spring approaches and people are cleaning out barns and sheds. I've seen them before, also big, heavy pipes that would work.....for free!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Free,
I can't wait to see how your project goes. I would love to have a cellar. How many bags do you thing you would need? do yo plant to stitch the bottoms after you cut them in half?

How exciting!!!

g

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since I quit buying processed feed for the girls & went to whole grain, I only have paper bags now. Bleh. Hehehe, I need to get more animals, so I can get more feed in those bags! :lol:

I doubt the bags would be as heavy as strawbales, you're probably right. Probably depends on what you fill them with.

I just read in one of those (haven't browsed those links for a while!) that you can use rice hulls.

Made me wonder about "gin trash" as it's called around here. It's the hulls of cotton, soybean or peanut processing. As we have a soybean & cotton gin in town, I could get that for free, I bet... Worth a phone call!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wow free! I need to start saving my feed bags too! That is a great idea!
:thumbsup
Please take photos and keep us updated on your project!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I buy my whole grains in the woven poly bags, and I throw NOTHING away (much to hubby's chagrin) so I have quite a stack of them. I plan to make them into smaller bags and I'm thinking I won't sew them shut, just fold them over and let the weight hold them shut. I will fill them with dirt from one end of the dirt mound.

I haven't taken the time yet to figure out dimensions of the bags and how many I will need....other things are more pressing right now....but I plan to frame and install two doors with insulation in between, and also use it as a cheese aging cave. I am really hoping I can keep it in the lower 50's year-round, but that may be asking too much in July and August!