East Texas Gardening

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Even though temps were below freezing the past two nights, the peach tree blossoms look okay (most of them)!
With little frost and a light freeze it may only effect the upper portions of the tree. If at all. Hope they all make a lot of peaches for you.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Once past this rain today I need to get with it and get the rest of mine in. The peppers are already starting to bloom and I still don't have the okra and melons in the ground yet. Plus we have chicks coming in a couple of weeks.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Busy! Busy! Busy! I have 26 Cornish Cross chickens in a tractor outside that are ready to butcher next week. Building 2 new chicken tractors, have 50 CC chicks on porch ready to move out, don’t have their houses ready yet. Not to mention the garden. Taking 6 lambs to auction in the morning. I feel like a dog chasing her tail. LOL LOL

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Busy! Busy! Busy! I have 26 Cornish Cross chickens in a tractor outside that are ready to butcher next week. Building 2 new chicken tractors, have 50 CC chicks on porch ready to move out, don’t have their houses ready yet. Not to mention the garden. Taking 6 lambs to auction in the morning. I feel like a dog chasing her tail. LOL LOL
You have more on your plate than we do. I'm coming out of retirement so I'm just starting to get things started up again around here. Old and slow but sure we will be happy to have the gardens again and a few other live stock besides the chickens. With bell peppers selling at 90 cents each its time to start growing my own again.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked two heaping wash pans of mustard greens and half a wash pan of turnip greens. Got over half washed and the stem down the middle out. Taking a break, before finishing up. Greens and hot water cornbread tonight!

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The mini ice age set our mustard greens back but we did get several large messes of them before they started to bolt. Ate a lot fresh and stuck the rest in the freezer for later.

Lost all the cabbage but four and they aren’t looking too good with the heat coming on. Same fate for the turnips too, but such is the way with farming whether it be on a large scale or a few pots. Granny said that you must plant three of everything to make ends meet … one for the birds, one for the bugs, and maybe one for you.

5 1/4 inches of rain and counting .... where oh where did I leave my water wings

Last edited:

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Agreed, but during our mini ice age they were buried under about four inches of ice/snow and -6 F temps for almost a week. We also lost a lot of ornamental plants during that time. Our average lows are mid 20 F.

Latest posts