East Texas Gardening

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Agreed, but during our mini ice age they were buried under about four inches of ice/snow and -6 F temps for almost a week. We also lost a lot of ornamental plants during that time. Our average lows are mid 20 F.
See, if they hadn't had the snow blanket it would have made more sense that they died..

The snow blanket should have been great protection.

Maybe it was more the drastic change from Texas hot to colder than ice that killed them.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe it was more the drastic change from Texas hot to colder than ice that killed them.
I believe it was more the weight of the snow and ice that mashed them down and broke all the stems up. The mustard greens came back from the center to produce, but the cabbage had golf ball size heads forming that got beat down and turned brown and died. The turnips where beat down like the mustard greens but they just never put on many new leaves after the thaw and just sat there. The four cabbage that survived were runts that hadn't started making heads yet. Might get to harvest them a little small if the heat doesn't get them first.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today is a beautiful sunny day, will reach the high 70’s today. Been relaxing this morning, about to get dressed, go outside and do chores, move sheep around on pasture and tackle tilling the garden. Supposed to be raining later in the week, would like to have a lot done by then.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The weather witch says 82F for us. Just a tad too wet after the monsoon rain we just had to be in the garden though. Maybe Monday I can get the okra, melons and the rest of the beans planted.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I didn’t get to rest today …… I have a long narrow bed that I could work up without having to walk in it so I went ahead and got some of the okra and green beans planted. Now I need to cleanup and disinfect all the seed starting equipment since that part is finished for the season.

The wife wants me to try and grow “Micro Greens” under the lights for salads. Think I will spend the rest of the day researching that.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With little frost and a light freeze it may only effect the upper portions of the tree. If at all. Hope they all make a lot of peaches for you.
I hope we get one peach at least. The trees are young, so if they produce no fruit, they'll be able to grow stronger. I've learned that it may take about 2 weeks until the full effects of the frost are known.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
More rain this morning to follow our mini monsoon of last week. But ..... the garden patches are sure looking good. :celebrate

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got my garden tilled, but has been raining a drizzle. Chomping at the bit to get to planting. Going to rain all weekend.