easy low carb (real food) dumplings, the possibilities are endless!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Basic recipe:

2 eggs
1 cup almond flour
pepper, paprika and salt to taste (I added cayenne too)

Whip up eggs, add the rest, forming a batter and put in the freezer for 30 minutes or fridge for 1 hour. You want the batter-dough firm enough to form dumplings or fork drop dumplings.

Bring steamer up to boil, drop dumplings in, cover and steam for 10 minutes.

Remove. It is that easy. They turned out nice fluffy and firm...just like a real dumpling and tasted almost corn-bready.

(Got the recipe from "kicking carbs to the curb" blog)

Now, I couldn't help but to taste this b/c I'm making chicken and dumplings tonight and wanted to make darn sure these were going to be worthy enough to use with my own (painstakingly hand-raised and freshly butchered) chicken.

Well...Yes they are! I'm going to add them to the soup at the last minute jic they don't hold up to the broth long term.

So I made another batch using turmeric, pepper and salt for snacks later. YUM! I think the next batch are going to be garlic, salt and pepper, the "snack" possibilities are endless.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
BTW, they don't get as firm as real dough, but if they are chilled enough, they won't fall through your steamer and they will still fluff up and get nice and dumpling-y. :p

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have always just dropped my dumpling dough into the broth- trying for ON TOP of some chicken or veggies so they don't become completely submerged. Do you think these dumplings would hold up to that?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
So yummy! I had to hide them from Sam so we could actually enjoy them with our chicken and dumplings. Turned out great--kid tested.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Man, I wish I weren't so allergic to nuts! I can have wheat, so that is good....but boy, do some of these nut flour recipes sound YUMMY!