Eating locally and/or home grown/produced only?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have lived before, eating what I raised, but it was long ago. I am getting to that point again. Our freezer is full of vegetables and meat. I canned chicken this year. I finished year #2 on the garden, year #3 will be even better. We planted fruit trees, it will be several years before we see any return

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You've done a lot since you moved to the new place, @baymule It feels like just the other day when I was reading about your property buying and moving adventures.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank you @sumi it was 2 years in September that we closed on the house, will be 2 years in February that we moved in. It just doesn't seem that long. We have ewes soon to have their second lambing!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm thinking aquaponics, plant towers and rabbits would be a good start towards SS. Aquaponics is a little tricky but I believe with the right combo of local fish and leafy type plants it is do able. The fish fertilize the plants and the plants oxygenate the fish "in theory" or something to that effect. Rabbits take up little room and are quiet. They could be hid in the garage or in the house and out of neighbors sight. Towers can be intensively planted and made out of all types of recycled things like barrels, pallets, wire, etc. The thing that is important is not to wait until the Stuff Hits the Fan to put it into practice.