Economic Hardtimes - bring a back-to-land trend?

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have noticed that people in this area have started growing more of their own food but I think it's to help with already tight budgets. I live in Utah and the state is known for larger families so having the ability to grow more to put on the table is a big deal. Canning jars were sold out last year as well and the last time there was a shortage of jars in this area was the latter part of the 70's.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my area everyone has a garden. always did and always will but when the building explosion was happening those big farms sold out and big old neighborhoods came in. Haven't seen many gardens in those yards. I guess they are the customers at the farmer markets :)

People are losing homes and jobs still and most can barely afford life. buying land isn't happening for many. But then again, I am experiencing only my area. we are not rolling in the dough in my location. well most aren't.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
~gd said:
I even managed to mess that up brcause the state decided to run a highway through it and I got hit for capital gains tax on it.
the state took part of your 6.5 ac. to run a highway. they must have taken ALOT. are you living right next to a highway now? wow

my MIL lost about 1.5 acres when they took land for a 4 lane. but it was on the far end of her 19 acre homestead and it is built high in the sky. so traffic noise isn't bad either.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Truthfully, I don't see many new gardens. But what gardens I already know about seem to be getting bigger.

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I see people putting in more gardens this year...I bought and planted many perennial food's in the past month..I plan to add more as money allows. Im also doing any home improvements ...I know with the price of heating fuel I will be getting my fat butt in gear splitting enough wood to help heat our home for the winter months.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
~gd said:
I even managed to mess that up brcause the state decided to run a highway through it and I got hit for capital gains tax on it.
the state took part of your 6.5 ac. to run a highway. they must have taken ALOT. are you living right next to a highway now? wowNope they took the house and all the outbuildings, well and septic system and left me with just over 3 acres. I didn't Have to move But I was not about to make the investment to replace all of that in order to live next to a 4 lane devided limiterd access highway! The real heartbrake was seeing what they did to my remainding land. every square inch had been run over by heavy equipment. It appeared that they had scraped the soil brom my garden beds into the ponds that I had dug for my ducks and geese There had used to be a three board horse fence across the front of my land where I grew Roses taken as cuttings from all the family farms and graves all gone even though the closest state land was 180 feet from the fence line. I was dumb enough to think they would respect the fence and roses ~gd

my MIL lost about 1.5 acres when they took land for a 4 lane. but it was on the far end of her 19 acre homestead and it is built high in the sky. so traffic noise isn't bad either.

Plantress

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OP I know what you mean. I can't wait to retire so I can devote much more of my time to the home and hearth. My parents grew up in the depression so mom was very thrifty. I have always done a little of this and that and I feel so burnt out on the hamster wheel of my job. I just want to have time to do what I enjoy that will benefit us and add plentitude to our days.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel encouraged. Where I live every year we have seen more people with chickens, gardens, and goats. Yes we are rural but before everyone just had big lawns. Now you see fruit trees and gardens taking up space.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live in a city with a population of just over a million people, and I've noticed over the past 3 years that "community gardens" have been springing up on the grounds many Community Halls and Libraries all over the city. The ones in my neighborhood are doing very well, each plot is either 4x4 or 4x8, no idea how much plot rental is though.