Economy & Personal Safety

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
So, I had an interesting experience today. I was out getting some groceries with my husband. My husband went in the store and I was waiting in the car. I didn't think about the fact that my wallet was just sitting in my lap (duh) until this guy starts walking directly toward me! I had this moment of "OMG what is this guy's intention?" He asked me to not be afraid (ha!) and then gave me a story (the particulars of which I don't know if I believe) about basically being down on his luck and needing money for food.

Now, I have a hard time believing that these folks really are going to buy food, and had just been talking with my husband last night about the time that I bought this guy coffee, who was begging on the street in Seattle in December, because I felt sorry for him -- he looked particularly pathetic. The guy actually told me he didn't like the brand of coffee that I bought for him. (Only in Seattle) But it made me think he wasn't wanting nourishment per se.

So all of that was running through my head today, along with considering what kind of food I had just bought that I could give to him, but I was saved by my husband walking up and giving the guy a buck.

My husband mentioned we should carry some kind of food for just such an instance, which I think is a good idea, but I'm also thinking it would be smart to keep my wallet out of the line of sight. :p

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
How lucky you stayed safe! There are people out there who target lone people in vehicles, so I don't usually sit in the car by myself.

When I first moved to Houston, I took a class about driver safety. The instructor recommended that women drive with their wallets and/or purses under the driver's seat. He also said never to carry more than you absolutely needed on a daily basis. At the time, there were some instances of "smash & grab" in the area. The woman drivers targeted kept their purses on the passenger seat next to them. The guys smashed in the car window and ran with the purses. Most women who were victimized said they carried every credit card they owned with them in their wallets.

For years, I have only carried the basic necessities and less than $20 on me. My dh keeps all his pennies in the cup holder of the car. The last time anyone asked me for money, I explained that I didn't have any money on me. It was true, as I was only carrying my drivers license and proof of insurance. But I did give them about 50 cents, which was all the pennies in the car.

I read of a person who told one guy asking for money for food that she didn't have any. Then she went home and heated up left overs from the night before, but them in a plastic container and took them to him with a plastic fork and spoon.

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not only for your personal safety, but for other's safety around you as well, need to keep valuables hidden.

That idea about keeping some food for times like that would be helpful, also a few sweets for diabetics, or low sugar glycemic people, who may be homeless. Winter is coming up and I personally know some homeless people who do not like to go into any shelter unless absolutely needed, so the need for food (fuel) for the times they don't have money.

I forgot to add some foods like canned soups that ya open like a pop, (my youngest daughter mentioned p-nut butter), gum or candy bars, pkgs of small drinks or juices....ect, I would not give money, though, too many homeless only want to smoke or drink money away (we all know those aren't needed to stay alive). :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have become waaaay lax about these things since we live in a small town and not the big city anymore. It was a wake-up call. I used to be very vigilant and never have anything visible in the car ever.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
country freedom said:
also a few sweets for diabetics, or low sugar glycemic people, who may be homeless.
Good idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is scary cause with the direct approach, you never know someone's intentions.

I never give out money or food or anything to people who walk up and are direct like that.

I put my efforts elsewhere cause I saw a show on Professional Beggars. Yup, they can pull in like over $600 or so per week just begging for money.....so I always say no.

I am the type that wants to be sure my charities etc. are going exactly where I intend them.

Just me...I guess I am hard.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Nah, that is my opinion too, FarmerChick.

I think my husband just wanted the guy gone . . . I'm not sure what I would have said/done if he hadn't shown up like that, but I sure was feeling like I should lock the door and roll the window up. :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have a few homeless in the bigger town over from us. One guy we gave a McDonald's meal to once. He was nice.

My mom once met a guy who said he would rather be homeless because he gets more free food and makes more money that way than working a job. :/

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My best girlfriend , when she lived in Chicago would carry to and from work with her, a bag of lunch meat sandwiches to hand out to the beggars who wanted money " for food ". She did want to help if they were really hungry , but didn't want to buy anybody booze, drugs, ciggs etc. Of course , many turned down her sandwiches :p One time when were traveling we pulled over at a Burger King for food, guy walks up to car , asks hubby for money for food , hubby pulls out wallet full of cash , travelers checks , credit cards and opens it right in front of the dude and hands over cash. I was livid , he could have got us all killed or robbed by showing that guy what he was worth . I told him next time, tell the man you'll go buy him some Burger King , don't show him your wallet ! Yeesh ! Your kids are in this car !

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if men and women generally have a different response in that situation.

Heh heh, I wouldn't want to eat a lunchmeat sandwich that had traveled to and from work with someone several times either. ;) Except, maybe the homeless guys would figure out that she was the "sandwich lady" and then leave her alone. :lol: Seriously though, your friend has a good heart, sweetcorn. :)