Edema

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Has your friend been medically evaluated regarding this? Causes of edema can include renal insufficiency and heart failure.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, it would depend vastly on what type of edema, where, and what cause.

(Most remedies involve addressing the root cause of the edema, and at the very least you don't want to be overlooking a more serious problem or even accidentally making it worse...)

Pat

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, a medical eval is vital. For me, there is no known cause of the edema, but I have noticed that caffieine makes it much worse. Eliminating caffeine makes it almost disappear. And of course, salt is a no-no.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I fourth that. The cause must be determined first. It can be too serious to just treat the symptoms at home. You know I'm all for natural remedies, but..... this may not be the time to give someone advice that will get them to put off a critical medical evaluation.

sonjab314

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've been on prescription water pills for over a year. I have NO IDEA why I swell but even with the meds, my skin still pits. They have done EKG'c and I know I have high blood pressure because I am on meds for that too. I wish I knew another way to help the swelling. I didn't swell this much when I was pregnant.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sonjab314 said:
I've been on prescription water pills for over a year. I have NO IDEA why I swell but even with the meds, my skin still pits. They have done EKG'c and I know I have high blood pressure because I am on meds for that too. I wish I knew another way to help the swelling. I didn't swell this much when I was pregnant.
Shame on your doctor if he cannot tell you why you have edema to the extent that you need a water pill.