Egg carton/shell seed planting method

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I posted this on TEG but couldn't find anything about it here. Hope this is the right place for it...

Just thought I would share my method for starting seedlings indoors. It uses things you probably all have at home already--Styrofoam egg cartons, eggshells and potting soil.

I save 18-count egg cartons throughout the year. When I use eggs in the kitchen, I crack off only the top third of the egg shell, throw that part away and save the empty 2/3s. Then, I nearly fill the empty shell with potting soil or a germination mix, plant the seeds, water very thoroughly and cover wtih Saran wrap. The trays then go under plant growing lights until they sprout, at which time I remove the Saran wrap.

Some of the plants do so well in the deep shells that I never even transplant them, just stick them right into the garden. When planting directly to the garden (or transplanting), I just crack up the bottom of the shell to allow the roots to work their way through. Works great and is very cheap! I also like to think about the nutrients added directly to the plant's growing space by the decomposing egg shells.

This method works great for tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, herbs. Probably would not work great (at least without transplanting) for squash, cukes, or other vining things.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thank you for this information! We are going to try tomatoes from seeds this year, a new venture for us...I think I'll try your egg shell method!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I've heard of that before but never so well explained. I have used egg cartons before without the egg shell left in it- I think your idea will allow more soil to be held and work better. And easier to move. I'm trying it.
I have been crushing eggs shells and keeping them to add to my homemade potting soil but I have enough and am switching to this today.
Or tomorrow since I already had breakfast. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks for explaining that system in great detail.

very smart sysetm.

one thing we all have is eggs...LOL

I never tried this method. I compost shells....but it is worth a try come early spring and see what happens.

You know I HAVE to try this......I am just to curious to see how much strength the shells have and how well they do! I like new things to try......cool! :)