egg cartons?

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I am trying to acquire some empty egg cartons. My 4 red sex links are producing almost 50 eggs a week(49 as of today). I have called every one I know and no one has any. I didn't want to buy any(I may have to though)...none of the grocery stores have any either. Any suggestions?

BTW....50 eggs a week. Isn't that out of this world for 4 hens? And every one a jumbo. I'm sure they won't keep up this pace forever.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I let anyone and everyone know I need them. People at church, work, neighbors, family. They bring them to me by the bagful. I have boxes in the attic of them. One lady collects them from her home health clients for me.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tommywalnuts said:
So I am trying to acquire some empty egg cartons. My 4 red sex links are producing almost 50 eggs a week(49 as of today). I have called every one I know and no one has any. I didn't want to buy any(I may have to though)...none of the grocery stores have any either. Any suggestions?

BTW....50 eggs a week. Isn't that out of this world for 4 hens? And every one a jumbo. I'm sure they won't keep up this pace forever.
Ok, am I being totally retarded, or does that equal basically two eggs per day per hen? I'm tired and I'm mathematically retarded, but I can't be that dumb... can I?

Oh, ask customers (if you sell the eggs) to return cartons, check craigslist or freecycle. Post a wanted ad, some people may be willing to start saving them for you. Offer up a few bucks for a bunch of them.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
tommywalnuts said:

Ok, am I being totally retarded, or does that equal basically two eggs per day per hen? I'm tired and I'm mathematically retarded, but I can't be that dumb... can I?
I meant to say I need to read your post to my reds because they lay well, but never anything like that! I don't get that many eggs from my 18 hens!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
That is 2 eggs a day.
I only get 1 egg a day at best and depending on the weather I only get 1 egg every other day.
Of course with almost 50 hens its still way to many eggs for me.

Hey TW, what ya feeden them thare chickens? That is awsome production.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought cartons to begin with, but eventually people who bought eggs from us started bringing us cartons. Then one day a lady gave us about a years supply of egg cartons she usually gives to the mennonites LOL so now we have about 40 billion egg cartons. We've also been given card egg flats which we use in the fridge.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you look at Tommy's signature, he has 8 laying hens, four red sex links plus four black sex links. 8*7=56 I certainly hope that he meant all of them, not just four, or we all need to start taking lessons! :bow

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
If you look at Tommy's signature, he has 8 laying hens, four red sex links plus four black sex links. 8*7=56 I certainly hope that he meant all of them, not just four, or we all need to start taking lessons! :bow

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, its just the 4 reds doing the laying. I'm down to 3 black sex links(damn dogs) and they're young pullets, and probably won't begin to lay until September. So its just the 4 older girls, which is 2 eggs a day...but day after day, not just every now and then. As to feed, I throw out 4-5 cups of layer pellets, and the rest is just things I get for them i.e. garden trimmings, a little hard dog food every now and then for protein, fish gut from fishing, leftover kitchen scraps, stale bread, crackers. I keep a plastic coffee can in the kitchen just for thier stuff. One thing they get that most don't...they go crazy over trumpet vine leaves so every other day I pull them a big handful off the back fence. Also, I keep a couple of old boards in the moist soil behind the barn, and flip them every now and then and collect the worms for the chicks. I have to say...I love my chickens. The hop up on my leg when I sit in this old broken school chair I salvaged for the back yard, one or two on each knee. I hand feed them a lot of goodies. Maybe they churn the eggs out just in appreciation lol.

edit* the 4-5 cups of pellets is for all(ducks and chickens).

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I used to sell eggs and owned 50 laying hens to get the job done. I was hard pressed trying to find egg cartons. One day I brilliantly Googled "egg cartons" and low and behold I found Egg Cartons.com!

Now how easy was that?!! :thumbsup

I have been using them ever since.

Added to say: I had a Pekin duck that layed two eggs a day for a couple of YEARS!! She was the only duck so no mistake. Wish I had a whole flock just like her. Maybe you have such a flock Tommy! :p