Egg nutrition question from my big sister:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My sister asks:
"I am thinking about raising chickens so I can have a ready source of omega-3DHA (eggs), but one has to feed the chickens diets containing fish meal. Anyone ever do this?"

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sister then says:
I am just starting to read up on it. Here is the quote "To help meet some of our omega-3 needs, we now can buy eggs rich in omega-3 DHA. These come from hens fed diets
containing fish meal, which increases the amount of DHA in the yolk."

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always wondered how they made that claim. What is it about the fish meal that makes the yolks higher in Omega3? The protein??

One would think that free range hens vs ones kept in a cage and fed fish meal could probably hold their own in the omega 3 department. Any studies on the omega 3 content of the fish meal vs free range eggs?

just curious.

g

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Don't free range (the truly free ranged chickens) chicken eggs have Omega 3s?

I think she is interested in the DHA aspect. Can that only be achieved by giving chickens fish meal?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
big brown horse said:

I think she is interested in the DHA aspect. Can that only be achieved by giving chickens fish meal?
hows about she just eats some fish, and free ranges her chickens?
That would make more sense then trying to replicate a commercial eggs with a dubious claim.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
big brown horse said:

That would make more sense then trying to replicate a commercial eggs with a dubious claim.
And it would be cheaper. Fish meal has gone through the roof! Almost $2 a pound now!

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
x2. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bugs are like land shellfish. The hens eat them, along with growing greens and get plenty of sunlight, and voila! Healthy eggs. Beef that is truly pastured is also high in Omega III's and other great stuff....as is pork and the fat from it.

If you are not eating veg oils, then your body is not likely to be out of balance with the Omega's.....especially if your diet also contains foods from pastured animals of any kind, eaten with the fat....egg yolks, skin on the chicken, salt pork, bacon, untrimmed chops and cuts of beef. :drool

And watch labeling...."more" Omega III's can mean ONE more molecule than the average CAFO egg....I'm exaggerating, but you know what I mean!

Latest posts