Egg recall - there's gold in them thar hen houses!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
and here i am out there with a sharpie trying to write

"pasture-ized" to show they was raised on pasture.......

stamp? why didnt i think of that.....
How about "Pasture-wise"
:D
ahhhh.. well done, Wildsky... well done!

one of my hens aint very pasture-wise.. she keeps getting stuck on the wrong side. i won't write it on her
;-)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you need to go out there with a fryin' pan and give 'em what for....

i brought in the last couple eggs of the day. i'm guessing $10 worth, give or take....

when the "Great Egg Famine of '10" hits...well, they'll be lining up.

say, maybe i'd better get a deep-in-the-woods shelter in case i have to hide out with the clucks....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Wifezilla said:
Telling people your animals are raised in a manner that doesn't promote disease is not a gut feeling thing. It is a fact. If you don't think your eggs are safer, you shouldn't be selling them.
I do think my eggs are safer, but I don't know it. Come on, I think you get my point. Can you PROVE your eggs are safer? Unless you are testing for salmonella, you cannot.

Regarding the studies, Polyface is not unbiased. Regarding the second one (WI--yay!), salmonella is much more prevalent in the Northeast. I would rather see a pasture-to-factory study there. And the last one, again Polyface based and totally biased.

I am truly not trying to argue here, just asking if anyone has actual, real, scientific studies showing that home-raised, pastured chickens are free from salmonella, or at least much less prevalent.

I would say that, unless you are willing to pay some big bucks to have your flock tested, there is really no way to determine this....so you can stop selling or giving away your eggs now.

Description:
Salmonella - Salmonella species are gram negative, aerobic, rod-shaped, zoonotic bacteria that can infect people, birds, reptiles, and other animals. This genus includes approximately 2000 species divided into five subgenera. Of the five subgenera, two subgenera, subgenus I and subgenus III, can be found in birds. Subgenus I contains the species of salmonella that most commonly infect birds. Subgenus III, contains the species Salmonella arizonae and arizona hinshawii, which have occasionally been reported in birds, particularly those that are in contact with, or close proximity to reptiles.

Most vertebrates can be infected with Salmonella however, the host susceptibility and development of carrier states vary widely among species. Free-ranging birds can be sub-clinical carriers and serve as a reservoir of bacteria.

In addition to free-ranging birds (here is where they will most likely blame the backyard flocks), flies, rats, and other vermins may also serve as vectors of Salmonella. The incidence of various Salmonella species seems to vary with geographic location and the types of food consumed. Imported birds and animals may serve to introduce different Salmonella species to the local area that can cause new and devastating outbreaks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: Transmission of this organism from one host to another is primarily through the air. The bacteria is shed from an infected bird in the nasal and or ocular secretions, fecal material, and feather dust. The organism remains stable outside the host body and dries as a dusty substance. This dust or aerosol contaminates the air that is then inhaled by another possible host. Susceptibility as well as the amount of contamination determine whether or not the new host becomes infected with the disease. Other forms of transmission include infected hens feeding their young with contaminated crop contents, as well as contaminated feed and drinking water.

Vertical transmission (transmission of the bacteria to and egg) can occur, subsequently chicks hatch and spread salmonella by direct contact. The embryo may die if bacteria levels become to high.

The disease has a greater chance of spreading in overcrowded conditions, stale air environments, nest-boxes, and brooders. Pet shops, bird marts, and quarantine stations are also high risk areas.

To me, this describes a commercial eggery to a "T"! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptoms: General symptoms of Salmonella include lethargy, anorexia, and diarrhea. In chronic cases, arthritis (particularly in pigeons) may be present. With high dose infections excessive thirst, conjunctivitis along with indications of liver, spleen, kidney or heart damage can occur.

Some individual avian species have unique clinical symptoms. Outbreaks in lories (Loriidae) are associated with an acute disease and high flock mortality. African Grey Parrots are also very susceptible, but they develop a more chronic disease showing symptoms such as mucus discharge from the beak/nasal area, arthritis, excessive thirst, and dermatitis. Droppings are colored a sulphur yellowish green which is very much a diagnostic sign for this microorganism.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prevention: Proper hygiene is the best way to prevent outbreaks of Salmonella. Effective control of flies, rodents and other vermin are also essential eliminate in preventing Salmonella outbreaks. Strains of Salmonella present in companion birds are generally not considered to be of any danger to a healthy human being. They may however, threaten infants, the elderly, or those with immunosuppressive diseases. Humans carrying Salmonella can infect their companion birds. Such human-to-animal interactions have been shown to occur, especially with African Greys, Amazons, Cockatoos and Macaws.

Treatment: Treatment of salmonella infections are more successful if the precise species is first determined. Once the particular species of salmonella has been identified, the appropriate antibiotic can be administered. The frequently found Salmonella strains are sensitive to many commonly available antibiotics, but strains from free ranging birds have varying degrees of resistance.

ANTIBIOTICS:

Kanamycin: Dosage: .01 mgl to one gram of body weight intramuscularly twice daily.

Gentamycin: Dosage: .01 mg to one gram of body weight intramuscularly once daily or 25 mg. to 120 ml of drinking water orally.

Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole Suspension: Dosage .002 ml to one gram of body weight orally twice daily.

Sodium Sulfachiorpridazine Powder: Dosage tsp to 120 ml drinking water

ANTIDIARRHEALS:

Pepto Bismol: Coats the intestinal tract. Helps to form a firmer stool. Dosage 2-3 drops in the mouth, 3 times daily.

Kaopectate: Daolin and pectin coat the intestinal tract and form a firmer stool. Dosage 3 drops in the mouth 3 times daily.

*Please check with the manufacturer of the specific antibiotic for additional information before treatment is started. Allays consult with your local avian veterinarian for additional information before treating individuals.

Diagnosis: A confirmed diagnosis requires isolation and identification of the Salmonella species. Most strains of Salmonella are motile, or capable of moving spontaneously, and grow on common media. However these assays provide a low degree of identity. PCR and sequence assays are also available, and results of these assays proved more precise information as to the type of Salmonella strain involved.

Sample: Samples from suspected birds are collected with cloacal swabs. Any mucus discharge from the eyes and nasal area should also be collected on a second swab. Swabs must be sterile and transported in a correct medium.

Environmental swabs can also be submitted to help evaluate the environment.

Handling: Prior to shipping samples should be stored at 4 C. Samples must be shipped overnight in a transport medium.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
While it may be possible for a bird to be a carrier of the disease or to have a very mild case that goes undetected there are still signs and symptoms in the flock. To me it would be fairly easy to identify a sick bird with Salmonella. According to my poultry disease guide...

Salmonella Gallinarum

Signs

* Dejection.
* Ruffled feathers.
* Inappetance.
* Thirst.
* Yellow diarrhea.
* Reluctance to move.

Salmonella Pullorum

Signs

* Inappetance.
* Depression.
* Ruffled feathers.
* Closed eyes.
* Loud chirping.
* White diarrhea.
* Vent pasting.
* Gasping.
* Lameness.

All of THAT seems pretty obvious. I mean who wouldn't notice a bird behaving like that RIGHT? Well look again...

* Ruffled feathers - that is a symptom of both kinds of Salmonella, but in a commercial setting where chickens are crammed into the "67 to 86 inches per bird." recommended by United Egg Producers Certified Program - Egg Industry Welfare Guidelines, your feathers STAY pretty ruffled from constant rubbing on wire and each other.

* Yellow diarrhea (or white) - either way that is VERY hard to track when all waste is falling into a manure pit below the cages.

* Thirst and or * Inappetance - With totally automated feeders and waterers. How would you notice a bird that is drinking excessively or not eating?

* Reluctance to move and or * Lameness - not much movement taking place when you only have at the top end 86 square inches to move around in.

* Loud chirping - in a house with thousands of other birds and giant loud air exchange fans, exactly what qualifies as loud?

* Dejection, * Depression, * Closed eyes - pressed together by the thousands with automatically controlled lighting. No real day or night. No sun or true darkness. How do you tell who is sick and who is sleeping? What is the criteria for depression in this situation?

* Vent pasting - With so many birds and so little room for them to move in it is very hard to detect a pasted vent.

* Gasping - or are they just hot? Take a quick look as you pass by on your daily inspections. You have lots of birds to look at this morning and no time to waste.

So diseased birds go undetected. They continue to churn out eggs filled with bacteria. Eggs that are then sent FAR and WIDE across the country. Just when was the first salmonella egg shipped? My bet is some time ago. These things take time to reach these proportions.

Again I will gamble on the health of my flock and my eggs ... no testing necessary.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I go visit Abi and you all get side jobs as comedians!

(I love you guys :D )

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
That could be an indication.... but salmonella is not an antibiotic created disease...it has been around for a very long time and who can say for sure just where it lingers..
Really? Everything I am reading says that this particular disease has only been around since the 80s.

Yet another disease gifted to us by industrial agriculture.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Up to a half billion recalled now :/

My mom came and got eggs, but my sister wouldn't take me up on the offer. She says she'd rather not know where they come from :rolleyes: So be it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Was your sister dropped on the head as a baby?

:D

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I'm just hoping mine start laying again. After all this horrible heat, and then the trauma of the neighbor's dog eating 3 hens, I'll just be glad to see 1 or 2 a week. I have 4 hens left. :(