Egg shell for chickens

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep a shopping bag in the kitchen that gets taken to the compost every evening after supper. I just scrunch up the eggshells through the bag. The ladies pick through the compost (and fling it around :lol: )

Dandelions, huh? Another reason to not poison the tar out of them!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I keep a shopping bag in the kitchen that gets taken to the compost every evening after supper. I just scrunch up the eggshells through the bag. The ladies pick through the compost (and fling it around :lol: )

Dandelions, huh? Another reason to not poison the tar out of them!
Same here noobie.

YOU can eat those dandelions too, tops and all. :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here is what I do to them...

Pick them young. Cover them in vinegar and let them set for a few weeks. Strain.

You will then have a vinegar that is LOADED with minerals. Use it as a tonic or for a very nutritious salad dressing.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back to the opening post - I have to wonder how useful that very fine powder is. Seems to me the chickens would more likely breathe it down into their lungs, than ingest it. And I can't think that eggshell powder in the lungs can be good for them. I use oyster shell, but then I have very few birds. The bag I bought when they were still young (April 2008) is still, I would guess, less than half gone. If in future I decide to feed back the shells I would just crush them in my hands; this would keep the pieces small enough for them to eat, but too large to inhale.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Back to the opening post - I have to wonder how useful that very fine powder is. Seems to me the chickens would more likely breathe it down into their lungs, than ingest it. And I can't think that eggshell powder in the lungs can be good for them. I use oyster shell, but then I have very few birds. The bag I bought when they were still young (April 2008) is still, I would guess, less than half gone. If in future I decide to feed back the shells I would just crush them in my hands; this would keep the pieces small enough for them to eat, but too large to inhale.
I fear you might be correct. But i sure had fun breaking them down into a powder.
:D
There was a similar discussion here .

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
I loooove dandelion in a salad. And the wine... :drool

I wanted to plant some. Mother threatened me with bodily harm if I did :/ :lol:
I overseeded my pasture with dandelion seeds I collected from the biggest plants I could find on my walks. It is actually hard to establish them, because all the animals favor them and seek them out!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think it was a cool idea and it would mix well with my laying mash if I did it that way~cool tip!

I just throw mine out in the garden and let anyone gobble them. Haven't had any egg eaters for 33 years now, so it must be okay.

Before garden season, I save a bunch of them, crush them in a walmart bag and place them in the soil around my maters.

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the colder seasons, I grind my egg shells down to powder and then mix some of the powder in with the hot mash that I make for my girls from their layer pellets, meat scraps, veggie scraps, pasta, and scratch. I put what ever I have handy in their bowl and add hot water. I feed this to them in the morning when they come out of their coop. They looooove it! A good hot breakfast to start the day.

Latest posts