Egg shell for chickens

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I LOVE dandelions! I love them in salads, I love dandelion "Coffee" (tea, actually, but it tastes a lot like coffee!), I love to blow the little puffs, and of course my rabbits and chickens and ducks just LOOOOOOOOOVE them.

Highly nutritious and very good for you. :)

I do the same with blackberries. Their leaves are excellent tea when you are sick, and of course the berries are divine. They are wonderful goat feed as well. :)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I throw eggs, shells and all in my blender on some really cold mornings and then cook the eggs and feed them back to my chicks. They love them, especially if I include warm oatmeal or cornbread. Hubby now walks into the kitchen, sniffs, and says,"What cha cooking? Something for the chickens?"

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I buy oyster shell still, but we have started keeping a glass jar by the kitchen sink for egg shells. One of my teenagers loves to crush them down periodically. When full, I've been making a big batch of plain rice in my rice cooker and adding the egg shells and whatever is old and rubbery in the veggie drawer, and feeding this to the chickens when it is cold.
They adore me.
We had an egg- eater so we don't want to feed them anything resembling an egg in the shell.

This has been working great for us. Some of our eggs are tough to crack, the shells are so hard.