Eggnog Recipes and Techniques

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
What's your favorite way to make eggnog?

I have a couple favorite recipes. I like to make the type where the eggs are separated, the yolks, milk, sugar and spices are heated to 160 degrees. The cream ad egg whites are whipped (separately) and added to the yolk mixture. It's foamy and decadent. DH hates it. :gig

I haven't been able to get organic cream in the stores this year. Demand before Thanksgiving wiped the shleves clear. I was able to get organic half & half, so I modified my recipe. It was so easy! worth repeating.

I use my Instant Pot on yogurt/boil setting and use a thermometer to heat to 160 degrees. I strain it 3 times, it turns out nice. I like to use an oil skimmer strainer, but it is slow because it filters out ground cinnamon which clogs the oil skimmer so I need to rinse it off a few times. Worth it though!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I’ve never made egg nog because I assumed it had raw eggs. But looking at this I’m thinking I might have to try!
There's a very narrow range of temperature that is food safe but the egg stays liquid. Left too long you have a sweet quiche. :gig At 160 degrees I get a couple globs of egg white and strain them out. I'd rather strain a few bits and know it's safe to consume

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just eat eggs from my hens raw anyway. Eggs aren't kept long enough here for bacteria to grow enough to cause problems.

The local ravens and crows get fresher eggs than are sold in the store. I pay them. They chase off hawks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, my! No raw eggs here...not even sunny side up!!! Can't go the slime. :sick. I don't eat okra either. 😂

I may drink eggnog once every couple years...only the premade. Just not a thing for me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
being a smart a$$ i'd say i love it best when someone else makes it. :) buy it at the store most of the time. just a quart is enough for me.

i love egg nog. never make it. should do that sometime this year. we just got some nutmeg so i'm ready. pretty much all i like it is a means to eat more nutmeg and sugar. same for many things like custards and rice pudding and ice cream. i'll sprinkle extra nutmeg on all of these just to get a larger jolt.

Latest posts