Eggplant - over-run with them

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the most gorgeous plant in my garden is the japanese eggplant. Now I'm overrun with them. Stupendous long purple fruits. So now what?
1. blanch and freeze?
2. can them? (bland...)
3. pickle them? - need recipes

What are your favorite ways of setting some aside for the winter?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hands down my favorite veggie. :)

I have quite a few recipes but I'm heading off for a hike. I'll post when I get back. Roasted is my favorite way to prepare them.

YUM!

Oh, you mean putting them up, don't you? Nevermind.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We do quite a bit with eggplant.

First thing we do, is split them down the middle lengthwise, cut out the seeds then vacuum seal the empty shells for later use. If you want a quick meal for later on, we split them down the middle, cut out the seeds and stuff the shells with a mixture of sausage, cheese, onions,peppers, mushrooms and any thing else we happen to have laying about, then vacuum seal the stuffed shells for cooking later on. We also peel them, chunk up the good stuff minus the seeds, and vacuum seal that for later use in casseroles and such. We also peel them, slice them and vacuum seal the slices, seeds and all, for later use.

Hope this helps!! :frow

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
and for an unusual treat.. look up eggplant jam. i'm not kidding. amazing! tons of sugar but its worth it! ha!

:)

and there has to be recipe for eggplant and tomato relish or sauce.

i think i have ONE eggplant
:-(

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We've gotten 6 eggplants this year. This week-end I will be making ratatouille with eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic...

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I peel, slice, bread and fry. This freezes nicely in freezer bags or vacuum sealed and freeze. Makes for easy eggplant parm, eggplant parm heroes (subs?), and eggplant rollatini. You can also dice them up and throw them on homemade pizza. I LOVE just a couple of these slices thrown in the toaster oven then put on some crusty italian bread with roasted red peppers, cheese, lettuce, oil & balsamic vinegar. :drool

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted 8 eggplants this year and they are going nuts. This is my first year to try them and I LOVE them. I've been putting tons of them in my spaghetti sauce. They do well to take the place of mushrooms (same texture when used in the sauce, I saute them in EVOO first) but they have their own flavor.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I planted 6 plants this year and didn't even know if I liked them. I fried a few the other night to try them, and they were good!! :drool

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have the long skinny eggplants, not sure which kind thy are. I sliced them in half last week added some large zucchini slices and banana peppers tossed them all in garlic and olive oil. Then I just threw them on the grill. Sprinkled a bit of balsamic vinegar over the them. yum!!

g

Latest posts