Eggplants & Aubergines

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
So on my walk through the garden this morning I noticed that there are way more eggplant than I will use before frost. How do any of you save them, freezing or ???

PS - I just love the English word "Aubergine" better than Eggplant!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Doesn't it sound glamorous? I use it like crazy for the last weeks of summer--my poor family!! Then, I usually freeze up a couple 9x13s of eggplant-pesto-pumpkin lasagna. That uses up a good 3-4 more. I wonder how cubing, freezing on cookie sheets and then dumping in bags would work for those recipes where texture is not an issue anyway, like soup?

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
If you like aubergine parmesan you could make up batches of it and freeze. It will use a few of them up and you will have dinners ready in a pinch to boot.
me&thegals
The eggplant/pumpkin lasagna sounds yummy.
If you have the time and want to share this recipe I would love to try it.

I had to edit to change the eggplant parmesan to aubergine parmesan.
Say it it outloud, it sounds so elegant.:lol:

me&thegals

Reaction score
You crack me up, TSL! When I read "aubergine parmesan," I did think for a moment "Huh?!?" Here's the recipe. Time consuming but feeds my small family for at least 3-4 meal (4 of us) and uses up all that end-of-garden produce :)

Eggplant-Pumpkin-Feta Lasagna
2 cups peeled and diced pumpkin
1-2 eggplants, sliced into rounds (see how far the first one goes in making a layer)
5 tomatoes
1 pint cottage cheese
9 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 cup pesto
2 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
15-ounce can tomato sauce
lasagna noodles
1-1/3 shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Roast pumpkin in oven until browned and tender, about 30 min. Fry eggplant in skillet, turning once, until charred and tender, 10-15 min. Halve tomatoes and place on baking sheet for last 15 min of pumpkin time. Cook until tender and wrinkly. In bowl, mix cottage cheese, feta, pesto, eggs, salt and pepper until well mixed. Fold roasted pumpkin into ricotta mixture. Spoon half of the tomato sauce into a 9x13 baking dish. Lay noodles over sauce. Arrange single layer of eggplant and top with half the cottage cheese mixture. Cover with more sheets of noodles. Arrange roasted tomatoes evenly over the sheets and spoon the remaining half of the cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles. Pour remaining tomato sauce over all and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
Aubergine Pumpkin Feta Lasagnia sounds heavenly! I don't have any pumpkins though, but I do have a bunch of butternut squash, I bet I could substitute?

me&thegals

Reaction score
absolutely! My newly learned factoid for the season is that pumpkins and winter squash are all squash. Just some are differently shaped and we call them pumpkins, others acorn squash, butternut squash... But, yes, I use them interchangeably :) Great way to use up end-of-season basil (for pesto), eggplants, squash and tomatoes!