Eight out and more pipped!!!!! 35 total so far!!!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far I have hatched 8 baby chicks out of our homemade incubator!!!!!!!!! One of them looks like a Brahma!!!!!! I love brahmas! One of them is an EE chick out of my own chickens. The rest so far are unknown as to breed, but one is black with a spot on it's head that hatched out of a white egg. That one has me stumped. I think some of those eggs are welsummer eggs. I can't wait for the rest to hatch!!!!! So far I have 20-something more pipped!!!!

mayberrygal73

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am waiting on some to hatch. My SIL and I have chickens and are learning that hatching them ourselves is so much more exciting. The black chicks with the white spot on the head is a Barred Rock. We hatched 3 of those last week and are looking at around 18 to hatch Thursday or Friday. Congrats and good luck!:fl

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
no pictures???

We demand pictures of the fluffy cuteness! :D

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My camera is having issues!!!! So far I am up to 12 hatched and 26 more pipped. The black one does resemble a barred rock, but it came out of a white egg. Barred rock lay brown eggs, but it could be half though. As soon as I can get my camera working I will post some pics!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This morning I counted around 35 hatched chicks running around. That number is not exact just a quick count. One died after hatching and 4 pipped and died in the shell. One is pipped and chirping in the shell and 25 are doing nothing. I will give them another day just in case there is one or two running late. No more feather footed ones though :( . For some reason my numbers aren't adding up. I could have sworn that I counted 70 something eggs and now I am coming up with 61. Maybe there are way more hatched than I realized. Off to go count again!! And to find a cat-proof brooder!!! :weee

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have a dozen that are supposed to hatch today but I don't know if it will happen, they are chicken eggs and not sure if they are going to be okay, they were iffy when I candled them.

I do have 2 dozen duck eggs due to hatch next wed, though!

Oh, and I agree.......where's the pics already???? :caf

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My camera has now disappeared and I have a sneaking suspicion that it took a ride to Louisiana with my dh last night! I am saving up duck eggs to put in, but I want to do a couple dozen quail eggs first. Quail eggs are pretty quick and it would give me more time to save eggs from my one duck. I can't wait to fill it again!! I think we are going to make some changes though, I noticed that the temp was fairly steady most of the time, but would go up when it was warmer in here and then I would have to prop the lid. I only had to do this a couple of times, but I think maybe enclosing the styrofoam in wood would help to insulate it more(I know no amount of insulation will completely cure outside fluctuations messing) and we need to make maybe a sponge in a holder or something in front of the fan to help increase the humidity. I had trouble keeping the humidity above 25% with the bowl of water I had in it and it was hard to reach beween the element and the shelves to add water and it spilled and got a eggs wet everytime I moved the box.