Electric lawn mower blade replacement issues

tjcnok

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Orbit is right. Impact Wrench. Find a car repair shop and pay a couple bucks. Cheaper than buying a compressor and tools. You don't want to be near the mower if the blade comes off or breaks because it wasn't tightened enough.

docaaron1

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same propblem. I bought an under the sink wrench (flat 1-3 inches) to hold the square metal "washer" located just under the tightning bolt. The so called washer is what has the cut groove to turn with the motor axle. That is what you need to hold to prevent the motor axle from turning. I bought my wrench at the local Home Depot, in the plumbing department.

Adjustable Slip-Nut Wrench by BrassCraft T152

Caution: Use some leather gloves when doing this. I slipped once and nearly sliced my fingers on the mower blade.

I aligned the sink wrench handle with the mower blade and held the wrench in place using my foot sandwiching the wrench handle between my boot and the blade. Using a standard adjustable wrench I freed the locking bolt. Again be careful not to slip and wear a leather work gloves.

I'm sure there is a reason for this type of clutch sytem but is sure makes it hard to remove a blade.

My problem now is the blade axle hole is larger than the axle diameter. I think the plastic fan may have once had some plastic that made up the differance but has melted away. Can anyone confirm this?

Aaron