Emaciated chicken

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think syringe feeding can be hard especially with liquids. Make sure to get it in the back corner so it doesn't go down into the lungs. Tube feeding some experts day is best but I have never used it.

Scrambled eggs will help too, probably needs the protein.

I have done Gatorade warmed, works like pedialyte but I think it tastes better, not sure what chickens think.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
No luck, he didnt survive the night. I learned a lot - body condition scoring chickens and first aid. And that I'm on my own, DH wont/cant help 🙄

I need to lay into DS15. He changed how I told him to feed them and the feed isnt spread out enough. Dumping a single pile isnt the same as spreading it over 20 sq ft. 😡

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's expensive, but baby parrot food works very well. It will go through the tube for lamb feeding if you cut off the tip of the rubber tube.

I hold head steady by the crest between middle and index finger and open the beak with pinky and thumb. Bird is tucked against me under arm and I wear a headlamp so I can see better. You can see the bronchial passage in the back of the throat so go to the side to miss that. Slide tube down until it stops. Squeeze in food until you can feel it in the crop well.

I always make it on the thinner side as they need more water and I'd rather just do water at food at once instead of giving water separately later. Birds seem to prefer it as well.

Sorry i didnt see this until now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It's expensive, but baby parrot food works very well. It will go through the tube for lamb feeding if you cut off the tip of the rubber tube.

I hold head steady by the crest between middle and index finger and open the beak with pinky and thumb. Bird is tucked against me under arm and I wear a headlamp so I can see better. You can see the bronchial passage in the back of the throat so go to the side to miss that. Slide tube down until it stops. Squeeze in food until you can feel it in the crop well.

I always make it on the thinner side as they need more water and I'd rather just do water at food at once instead of giving water separately later. Birds seem to prefer it as well.

Sorry i didnt see this until now.
thank you! I will check the pet store to see if they have baby parrot food. Seems like a good thing to keep in a first aid kit.

Latest posts