Emergency Communications...

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KC0OLL here. Just starting to get my emergency communication gear into order. There seems not to be a consensus on the frequency that should be used... Any thoughts?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
KC0OLL here. Just starting to get my emergency communication gear into order. There seems not to be a consensus on the frequency that should be used... Any thoughts?
Are you wanting to go simplex? Do you have any repeaters? What kind of set will you be using.
Icom 706 MkII G here.
KI4IGQ

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
Getting a license is really much easier now than ever before. There is a book called "Now you're TAlking" published by ARRL and that has all the information you need to get a Technician License. It has ALL the questions that could possibly be on the test so if you studied just those you'd still pass. It isn't hard to do. The questions are all multiple choice and the wording for them comes straight out of the text in the book.
Additionally, you don't have to take a Morse Code test any more to get a license. That was a MAJOR deterrent for some folks and they finally elminated that from certain classes of license. That really improves your enjoyment of the radio hobby!
Personally, I like morse code and have a system to teach it which is really easy...much easier than the Boy Scouts taught me when I was young...back in the stone ages. :lol: :lol:
HOpe this helps.
Welcome to the world of Amateur Radio (HAM)
Trim sends
KI4IGQ
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/1808_images.jpeg
//BT//
I have been wanting to learn Morse Code! Do tell, what's your method?
KJ6ORY

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
cabinchick said:
Icu4dzs said:
Getting a license is really much easier now than ever before. There is a book called "Now you're TAlking" published by ARRL and that has all the information you need to get a Technician License. It has ALL the questions that could possibly be on the test so if you studied just those you'd still pass. It isn't hard to do. The questions are all multiple choice and the wording for them comes straight out of the text in the book.
Additionally, you don't have to take a Morse Code test any more to get a license. That was a MAJOR deterrent for some folks and they finally elminated that from certain classes of license. That really improves your enjoyment of the radio hobby!
Personally, I like morse code and have a system to teach it which is really easy...much easier than the Boy Scouts taught me when I was young...back in the stone ages. :lol: :lol:
HOpe this helps.
Trim sends
KI4IGQ
//BT//
KJ6ORY
I use relationships to remember things. for instance E I S H . .. ... .... YOu see a numerical progression. T M O - -- ---
Then there are groups such as the N group. N D B (with the mnemonic device nondirectional beacon for all you aviators in the crowd!)
-. -.. -... Get it? There a two A Groups. A W J. And A U V. .- .-- .--- or .- ..- ...- (V having the mnemonic device Beethoven dit dit dit dahhhhhhh)
Now you have the organic chemistry class called "enantiomers" which are mirror images of each other. R/K. .-. -.-
Or P/X. .--. -..-
FQ ( the mnemonic is not for children) or L/Y (love you)
So do you see the patterns? There are some more but typing on this iPad is just
Not much fun.
PM me if you want to see more but you may be able to figure them out on your own, which makes them "stick better"!
Trim sends
//BT//

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I wish my grandfather were still alive! He was a HAM radio operator. I suspect his equipment is long gone now, but this is a really good idea. I'll have to add it to my todo list :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I wish my grandfather were still alive! He was a HAM radio operator. I suspect his equipment is long gone now, but this is a really good idea. I'll have to add it to my todo list :D
I used to belong to a National Guard unit that has an armory in Glen Arm, MD. Perhaps you know of it?
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//bt//

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
cabinchick said:
Icu4dzs said:
HOpe this helps.
Trim sends
KI4IGQ
//BT//
KJ6ORY
I use relationships to remember things. for instance E I S H . .. ... .... YOu see a numerical progression. T M O - -- ---
Then there are groups such as the N group. N D B (with the mnemonic device nondirectional beacon for all you aviators in the crowd!)
-. -.. -... Get it? There a two A Groups. A W J. And A U V. .- .-- .--- or .- ..- ...- (V having the mnemonic device Beethoven dit dit dit dahhhhhhh)
Now you have the organic chemistry class called "enantiomers" which are mirror images of each other. R/K. .-. -.-
Or P/X. .--. -..-
FQ ( the mnemonic is not for children) or L/Y (love you)
So do you see the patterns? There are some more but typing on this iPad is just
Not much fun.
PM me if you want to see more but you may be able to figure them out on your own, which makes them "stick better"!
Trim sends
//BT//
That is *beautiful*! Wow. Thank you.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just bought a Kenwood R-1000 reciever last week and will be hooking up the antenna this weekend. Figured I would listen for a while and learn the lingi.

My friend who has a local electronic shop is and getting me hooked up is

Sven
KB1UFV

Good luck and keep your powder dry. :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
Just bought a Kenwood R-1000 reciever last week and will be hooking up the antenna this weekend. Figured I would listen for a while and learn the lingi.

My friend who has a local electronic shop is and getting me hooked up is

Sven
KB1UFV

Good luck and keep your powder dry. :)
I have two rigs. Icom 706 Mk IIg and Kenwood TM-D700, neither of which are hooked up right now. I just don't have time to sit and listen/talk. One of these is stored in a Faraday Cage with no power and hopefully no energized circuits (not interested in an EMP problem which currently concerns me).
We are getting a growing number of HAM's on this forum and maybe we should start our own topic. To that end, I will do so.
KI4IGQ
Trim sends
//BT//