Emergency Lighting...

MarkR

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Justusnak,

Do you know where I could get one of those flashlight/radio do-dads?

I would really like to get my grubby little hands on one of those.
I got a couple hand crank to charge lantern/radio thingies in the camping section of Target for like $10 each. They're a couple years old and doing fine.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I know this isn't what you asked about, but it is an overlooked light source. The more expensive homes are featuring borrowed light. Interior walls are built with openings to let in window light on a side that wouldn't normally include natural light. This concept also works with interior lights by borrowing light from another room through the opening. I know there's a term for this but it eludes me.

Another is to use mirrors or light painted walls to make the most of the light you do have. I always place a mirror behind each candle in a jar; it is how sconces began.

In an extended blackout we use many of the suggestions here, but in addition, we use a five arm candelabra with tapers. That really throws off a lot of light for a candle. I find tapers at yard sales, I've made them with a taper mold using old stubs, Christmas sales.

It's odd but a large fire in the fireplace isn't that effective of a light source.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We used tea lights in glass jars during the last power outage and we have some battery powered lanterns that we use sparingly. We also use a candelabra but it is hard to keep the kids away from it and not to mention the dog's tail! I had a lot of tiny oil lamps, like 6 inches tall, and really pretty but they are somewhere in storage. They were great for walking down dark hallways, easy to carry.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
To those of you using the motion charged flashlights: Keep them away from your computer monitors!! They operate using magnets and monitor screens are magnetic. I recently placed mine by the monitor and the phone for blackouts and my screen had a 3" wide vertical, odd color stripe after that. Very annoying. Had to get a new one.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
We have a lot of flashlights, and some great ehadlamps. Incase of emergency.
A couple of lanterns too.

Latest posts