Emergency pack for car?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pack in their car? I was putting together a food pack with drinks.Adding some blankets. A few years ago in PA people were snowed in on a highway for days. Rare,but it could happen.Lol, I try not to even go out when there are flurries!

Recalled the issue with water accidents and windows, so I figured a hammer should be good enough to break glass(is it?). A recent story I read the window was shot out by bystanders trying to save kids in a car overturned in a river. Do I need to buy the window breaker, or just have a hammer in the car?

This isn't a bug out kit just an emergency pack if we get stuck in the car. What else should be kept in the car? First aid? Flares? Fix a flat?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't have it all right now, but this is what I plan on having in the car.

1. Flashlight.
2. Either chains or tow straps.
3. Kitty litter (for putting under tires for traction).
4. Blankets.
5. Water.
6. Some cereal bars, jerky or such
7. A bucket and toilet paper.
8. An emergency candle.
9. A small pot and a mug.
10. Hot chocolate mix.
11. A small snow shovel.

In this area, getting snowed in your car isn't really much of a problem, but it can happen. Personally, I wouldn't leave the car running. If the snow gets deep enough, it can cover the exhaust pipe. I'd rather have the window cracked just a little, tiny bit and have a candle burning, preferable something w/at least 3 wicks for heat. Plus, if you leave your car running, you might run out of gas. Then, when your car is dug out, you don't have any gas to get anyplace!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
YES!
About using a hammer,I would NOT, what if you got in an accident and it came loose in the car, now you have a deadly object hitting your head etc. They make a special tool that have a seat belt cutter and window breaker all in one for under 15.00 that is lightweight and safer IMHO.

I do not live in a snow area so our packs will be different but here is what I carry:
Cell phone charger in car at all times but both our cars have ONSTAR so we can call them for emergencies if we need to. In fact I was just in an accident and the car was almost totaled and Onstar was on the phone with me before I even came to a stop to see if I was alright and if I needed emergency services. That is the best 17.00 a month I spend for piece of mind, they even paid for the tow truck!
flashlights with flasher mode.
case of water
4 Meals Ready to Eat (includes burner for making hot) and snack packs
wool blanket
a roll of toilet paper in the glove box
small first aid kit/ Maxipads, they are great absorbers for first aid.
small folding shovel (tucked away under spare tire) Along with a small tool kit
seat belt cutter tool/ Gerber knife
rain ponchos (cheap plastic, you could even use yard garbage bags)
I will have to go look to see what else, I was just thinking I needed to refresh them.
Another suggestion is make sure you keep it out of sight, in your trunk, don't tell everyone you carry it, it's a good way to get it stolen. Think of how nice that would be to a homeless person or a druggy thinking it is something more....

What I need to add is some CASH, you just never know.....

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We keep the following scattered throughout both cars (glovebox, with spare tire, under seats) year-round:

first aid kit
seatbelt cutter/window breaker tool
cell phone charger
Leatherman style multitool and a few other basic tools
city/province maps, maps for neighboring provinces/states, North America road mapbook
9x12 tarp
2 rolled up fleece blankets
roll of toilet paper in ziploc bag
jumper cables
glowy triangle thing (instead of road flares)
ice scraper
collapsible shovel
sandbag
4 pairs gloves and socks, pair of work gloves
2 hand crank flashlights
emergency candle/holder
4 re-usable hand warmers
case of 24 water bottles
a few granola bars and fruit leather bars in the glovebox

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Mine is jam packed ,and huge ! to long a list to post. Everything but the kitchen sink... Wait there is wipes in there to. Lol
We live in a cold cold climate it's important to always have a emergency pack in the car!