Emergency Preparedness

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
A collection of quality tools. ANY kind of tools. You never know when you'll need them, and if they are no longer available in this country for whatever reason(you know they're shipping everything overseas these days and almost nothing is made here :/ ) then you'll be without.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Food is the obvious and I think you have that covered. Next is a source of cooking fuel. That can be firewood, a full propane tank, a solar oven, etc... Basically if your utilities got cut off for some reason, how will you make dinner? We grilled a lot when the flash flood knocked out our electricity. Even though we have a gas oven, the pilot light is electric and it was dark in the kitchen without the overhead light. Since we have several grill sized small propane tanks and a camp stove with the little bottles of gas, it was just easier to cook outside.

Another good thing to have is first aid supplies. Not having insurance, we do most of our own fixing up anyway. I just added drawing salve to the stash and it really came in handy. Also saline solution. Normally people without contacts don't think of it, but it can be use as a general eye wash and a pink eye treatment. Then there are antibiotic ointments, bandages, tweezers, etc... A book on standard first aid is good to have around too. This is not just for the people, but for the critters too. Make sure you have whatever typical medicine, first aid supplies they would need.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Good medical supplies. And this does not mean just a first aid kit.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good points all three of you! Ive got all that covered too, only thing I would be worried about (out of those 3 suggestions) is medical stuff. Mom has a really humongous herb book with all sorts of medical advice in there along with what kind to plant. I may need to look that over and plan a medicinal herb garden for next year, any suggestions for that?

We have the tools all squared away. Several man power food processing tools and lots of man power tools for work and garden. May need a better knife sharpener would be good. I also need a good butchering knife anyway.

Cooking is all good and so is heat. We have two coal/wood grills that I think can be made into a smoker. Then a old, old wood cook stove. Plus access to a place for fuel.

Thanks so far, keep em coming!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We're starting to prep also, and we have lots of food stored down in the basement, but never thougth of first-aid supplies, duh! I was wondering what the best way to store water is though?

Some good medicinal herbs to have are Marsh Mallow, Calendula, Dandelions, Echinachea, Lavender, Chamomile, Rosemary, Thyme, and Peppermint.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's one link on how to store water:
http://theepicenter.com/tow02236.html

I took a free online herbalism course and have printed off a couple of pages of info I have gleaned for basic things, like homemade cough syrups, home remedies, etc. If anyone in your family is on prescription medications, you might want to do some research on home remedies for that.

I suggest printing off stuff and keeping it in a binder. If you don't have power, you won't be able to access information from the computer.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Marianne.

I do the same thing with articles I print off. I have two binders full of herb info, recipes, and how-to's. It would not only be a good thing to have in an emergency, but it's handy to have the paper copies at your fingertips if you want them instead of trying to find them online again.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I took a free online herbalism course and have printed off a couple of pages of info I have gleaned for basic things, like homemade cough syrups, home remedies, etc.
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but do you still have the URL for the online course you took, Marianne...? :)

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Here's one link on how to store water:
http://theepicenter.com/tow02236.html

I took a free online herbalism course and have printed off a couple of pages of info I have gleaned for basic things, like homemade cough syrups, home remedies, etc. If anyone in your family is on prescription medications, you might want to do some research on home remedies for that.

I suggest printing off stuff and keeping it in a binder. If you don't have power, you won't be able to access information from the computer.
hey you hear about the barrels filled with sand can also purify water, its kind of like how they make a septic system with a sand filter, but instead you run the water down through a sand barrel that helps purify water, i think there using it in 3rd world countries, but obviously it can be used anywhere.