Emergency Seed Bank on Markdown.com

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
from http://www.emergencyseedbank.com/herbs.html

21 different varieties, 68,000 seeds total Selected to grow in 11 growing zones across the country

Thyme creeping
This delightful, aromatic herb variety is often planted between the stones or bricks in the garden paths and can withstand light foot traffic. It has lean, creeping stems, round leaves and lavender blossoms that release a sweet fragrance when stepped upon.

Anise
A flowering annual herb known for its licorice flavor. Seeds should be planted in the early spring. The plant grows 2-3 feet high and does not transplant well. Anise has many culinary and medicinal uses.

Basil Italian large leaf
This herb is perfect for pesto-for your Italian cuisine! Its volatile oils are essential in cooking for its strong aroma and heavy flavor. Aside from cooking planting basil in your garden help ward off mites, tomato hornworms and aphids.

Arugula Slow Bolt
A leafy green vegetable with a tangy and spicy taste. Arugula tastes great alone or mixed with other greens in a salad. Arugula slow bolt takes about 42 days to mature and it grows easily from early spring through the fall.

Caraway
Caraway is almost without waste because the roots and the leaves are edible and each has their peculiar taste. In the first year it grows less than 1 foot forming the carrot-like taproot. In the second year it produces seeds and flower heads.

Chamomile German
Chamomile German has thin branches of finely divided green leaves and its feathery foliage smells like an apple when crushed. The white and yellow Daisy-like flowers appear from early summer to fall. This type of herb grows in any soil and preferably in full sun.

Chives garlic
This essential kitchen herb is excellent in salads, stews, fish, eggs, or meat dishes. The blossom buds can be eaten raw, stirred fried or can even be added to scrambled eggs. Its broad, flat leaves are good to use as ordinary chives and the bulbs can be fried like an onion.

Cilantro slow bolt
Pungent, hot and spicy with bright green leaves necessary for Asian and Mexican dishes. In Central and Latin America the leaves are garnish over the dishes before serving. This herb can grow usually up to 3 feet tall.

Cress curled
Cress is fast growing cool-weather herbs that can either be cultivated from seeds or from its stem. It is ready to be harvested 20 days after planting. It can grow for 2 years thriving best in damp soil

Hyssop
An aromatic woody plant with small blue flowers. It works well as a low hedge. Dried hyssop leaves can be used in herbal remedies or to add a strong minty flavor to soups, meats and salads.

Dill bouquet
Perfect in the herb garden, Dill Bouquet is surprisingly compact, making it ideal for windowsill growing. Its ferny foliage is highly attractive and most delicate. The large flower heads can be dried for flower arrangements.

Leek Large American Flag
This leek looks similar to large scallions and the foliage is blue green with white shanks. It is a non-bulbing and the leeks are tasty with superior quality and flavor. Its mild sweet onion-like flavor is great for soups, stews and salads. It is a popular variety for gardening.

Fenugreek
Fenugreek has aromatic, strong and bittersweet flavor. Perfect for spicing up your oriental cuisine with its pungent, spicy smell! It can also be grown to renovate your garden soil.

Savory summer
This herb is much more like thyme yet with its own peculiar flavor and aroma. Savory is a little bit peppery perfect for mincing. Many used it with bread crumbs for coating vegetables like squash or fishes before sauting.

Sorrel Large Leaf
Sorrel large leaf has a large, long, wavy, succulent, sword, shaped leaves with a slight acidic lemon taste and is high in Vitamin C. It can grow in well drained fertile soil in full sun and can live for years. It has a tangy taste and is used to liven up salads and as a vegetable like spinach.

Sage
It is easy to grow and survives well in nearly all climates. It is good to begin with the seeds inside and confine it in a container because the seeds are quite small and may get washed away in the garden and its plants spread rapidly from underground stems. Spearmint can be used in cooking.

Oregano Italian
This herb is a member of the Mint family together with basil and parsley. Oregano is a must for Italian recipe because of its strong spicy flavor. Although native of the Mediterranean its popularity started when the WWII soldiers brought their new found love on Italian pizzas with them.

Hard Red Spring Organic
This wheat is planted early in the spring and is harvested from mid-July to early August. This plant produces several long, thin, green leaves from its base. This hard, brownish, high-protein wheat is used for breads, hard rolls and bagels. Bread flour and high-gluten flours are usually made from HRS wheat.

Buckwheat Organic
Despite its name, buckwheat is not part of the wheat family. It grows easily and fast, even thriving in poor soil. It is a great source of fiber and protein. Buckwheat can be eaten alone or added to many other foods like soups, burgers, and salads.

Parsley Italian flat-leaf
This dark green, flat-leaved parsley is suitable to grow in pots on the windowsill practically all year round. With its high pest and disease resistance makes it ideal for organic gardeners. This parsley has a stronger flavor than the curled variety and is indispensable for a huge range of cooked and salad dishes.

Tarragon Russian
This plant is similar to French Tarragon but is a vigorous variety. It is easier to grow and has a milder flavor compared to other varieties. The flavor improves as the plant matures. Its aromatic foliage is good for tarragon vinegars, in white sauces, salad dressings and with chicken, fish and egg dishes.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never liked the idea of buying someone else's choice of seed, but that is just my choice. I prefer to choose what I want to grow, and then store the seed myself, between plantings.
Two notes on the above list: A few of those plants mentioned are perennial - therefore if they include a large number of seeds of that particular plant you really are getting more seeds than you will ever need (for that plant), and consequently fewer seeds of other plants that you might value more.
And, re: Russian Tarragon (last plant mentioned), it is basically a weed. It grows better than French tarragon, but isn't worth the space used. It tastes *milder*, they say; it doesn't taste like much at all, I say. Its main advantage, for seed companies, is that it can be grown from seed; French tarragon cannot (it doesn't set seed)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
On their website they talk about these as medicinal herbs for when TSHTF.

I just thought it was an interesting item and I know we have a few preppers on the forum.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
On their website they talk about these as medicinal herbs for when TSHTF.

I just thought it was an interesting item and I know we have a few preppers on the forum.
Oops! Sorry, that did sound rather snippy, didn't it? I apologize, I didn't mean it that way. You're right, it is an interesting thought, and one that some might find useful.

I did look up tarragon, and its medicinal uses - http://www.helpwithcooking.com/herb-guide/tarragon.html. It is more useful than I thought. This article doesn't differentiate between Russian and French in the medicinal section, though that just may be oversight. But maybe it really doesn't make much difference, I don't know. If anyone is interested in growing tarragon, for cooking or health, I strongly recommend that you find a start - any herb nursery/catalog would have them in the spring, and some larger all-round nurseries do too. Even if the flavor is too strong for you I would just suggest that you use less. Once you have a plant or two, and have planted it where it is happy, you'll have it for a good, long time. (of course, I am still hunting for that perfect spot in my garden, and have had to re-plant several times :rolleyes: Oh well ... sigh. Gardening really was easier in California :/)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
No worries ORChick. :D I took no offense. I like to make my own choices too! And honestly, I'm not going to buy one!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I'm not buying one either. I like controlling my own choices, especially with everything we need our herbs and herb-space to do.

Latest posts